Oh Boy

There were plastic roses in a clear vase on the table in the waiting room. They seemed to be taunting me, perfect petals and all, without any worry of drying out.

Many older women were sitting around me, waiting for the doctor, their bellies much more swollen than mine. Some read magazines, while others stared at me as I twisted the diamond ring around my finger. I refused to take it off, a small spark of hope in the back of my head that he might come back one of these days.

The door opened and a woman in pink scrubs covered with white daisies stepped out of it. She called my name. I took a deep breath, stood, and walked to the door. “Are we waiting for a husband?” She said, perfectly audible to the rest of the room. Though my back was turned to the waiting room, I could still feel every eye on me, waiting to hear what happens next. I pursed my lips and shoved the hand with the ring into my pocket. She got the idea and gave me a sympathetic look before she led me into the hallway.

“So what do you think it’s going to be, huh? A girl or a boy?” She said as we turned into the brightly lit room.

“I’m not sure.” I said as I pulled myself into the chair. “I mean, I always pictured it as a boy.”

“Well I guess we’ll find out in a moment, then.” She said with a smile. 

Hey ya'll. Hopefully you picked up on the pun in my chapter title. (btw, I'm really sorry for the people's lives when I told them the end of this story >_<)