The Break-up

Peter

Age 22

MJ's apartment
00:48 AM

"I can't believe you're actually mad at me," I throw my arms up in the air, the minute my girlfriend shuts the front door to her apartment.

"if anything, I should be pissed that you didn't tell me, you were sneaking into an armed military base and put yourself in danger...AGAIN!" I shout with a hopeless tone of voice.

Believe me when I say, I just had the most awkward swing, from a military base, saving my curious and very spontaneous girlfriend from disaster. None of us spoke, and I cringed so bad under my mask from MJ's pounding face.

Doesn't she realize how dangerous things could have gotten. None of us say a word until we get inside her apartment, but there is this tension between us, like a wall build up by frustration and anger.

"I would have been fine; I was handling it." She points out with clenched fists, as she takes her shoes off. "and I didn't tell you, because I knew what you were gonna say." She rolls her eyes.

"That it was obviously too dangerous, MJ." I let my hands run slowly down my faces, grabbing the skin along the way. "What were you thinking?" I ask clearly not understanding her need for her constantly, putting herself at risk.

"It's was for at story," she walks pass me and into the living room and dumps down on the couch, with a sign. Both elbows pressed on her thighs.

"My tip told me valid information, that could easily be the front page of the next Daily Bugle article, since Robbie took over for Jameson, it's not always Spider-Man on the covers anymore." She drums annoyed on her thigh, with her fingers. As if she's trying to hold back something.

With my lips pressed together, I walk behind the couch and swing over it with one hand, landing next to her, still with a few feet apart.

"Why can't you just find some non-dangerous story to write about?" I ask gently and scratch my hairline with my finger.

She snaps her head at my direction, her eyes lightning like fire. "Don't you get it, Peter?" Her bottom lip begins to shake uncontrollably as she almost trembling with frustration. I rest by the thought that I know it isn't directed completely at me.

"I don't want to end up like some fluff journalist, who writes the most irrelevant articles that no one reads anyway, I want to walk the next mile and go the extra step, I'm tired of being stuck as an intern with no voice." She takes a deep breath, looking at me with her light blue eyes.

"My boss never put me onto the real stories, he always picks one of the male journalists, or even male interns like me, and leaving me to do the boring stuff, I won't have it." She slams her clench fist down her lap.

"Dammit Pete, I'm capable of more." She says, not sure who's she's trying to convince the most, me or herself. "And unless I'm willing to go the extra mile, no one will ever take me seriously." 

Because just for a half second, I see a hint of fear and hopelessness in her usually confident eyes. I want to pull her closer, but I know the time isn't right yet.

"It pisses me off that you don't let me, explore my full potential." She snaps and once her again her shoulders tighten. "You're my boyfriend, you're supposed to be encouraging and happy for me."

With a deep sign, I lean back in the couch, mentally preparing myself for the argument. "It has nothing to do with that!" I argue.

"I just can't focus on anything, knowing you could be out in danger, and I'm not there. Jesus, MJ so many things could happen to you." I point out, feeling my heartbeat slowly beginning to beat faster, as horrible images of MJ getting killed runs through my mind.