Jealousy

Set before the chapter 'the breakdown'

18+

Possessive Peter

Peter

Age: 25

I'd call myself a pretty calm guy - not usually the jealous type, my patience is higher than most people's... it has to be. And yet... I feel myself struggling right in this moment.

It takes an impressive amount of willpower not to walk over, put my girlfriend over my shoulder, and carry her away from this office party.

Why does she have to talk to this guy for so long? He seems so familiar and yet I can't place him. But whoever he is, he is certainly not too shy to ogle my girlfriend as she speaks with excitement about something I can't hear. I nearly lose my cool as I see him touch her shoulder and lean in towards her. Her being too caught up in her story, doesn't think twice about it. But I see his true intentions.

I can practically see his eyes roll down his face, I bet if he opened his mouth his tongue would fall onto the ground, all sloppy and drooling. God damn dog.

I shift my focus from the conversation with some of my old colleagues to MJ and her little friend.
It's Betty's maternity party, we worked together for a while - she was also a good friend of MJ's. They go all the way back to college.

It is great to catch up with old colleges, especially since Jameson is not here, but I can't escape the itching in my fingertips. I long for her and I can't have her.. at least not yet. But that doesn't mean I'll just stand here while some prick is coming on to her.

"Excuse me," I say to the others as I make my way over to MJ and the guy in the corner. I hear him saying "well not to brag but I am an expirenced man, maybe I could teach you a thing or two." His voice smooth and honeyed. I already feel like punching him.

MJ turns her head towards me and gives me a bright smile. "Oh Pete, great timing," she says and gestures towards the guy. "My boyfriend, Peter, as I was telling you before." She clarifies. Not seeing the disappointed look in Simon's eyes.

"Simon and I were just discussing proper camera technique, Simon is an excellent photographer, like you Pete." She sends the guy, Simon apparently, an encouraging smile, and I somehow feel like growling. Pull yourself together Parker!

"He's offered to be one of my sources in the city," MJ says, and Simon nods, a bit too eagerly if you ask me. I fight the urge to put a tectorial hand around her waist. "I think it could be a great idea," MJ says, oblivious to my darkened eyes and the low snarl escaping my mouth. "It could help the podcast for sure."

"It would be my pleasure," Simon says then sips on his alcohol-free welcome drink, although MJ might miss it, I certainly don't miss the gleam in his eyes and the way he wet his lips, trying to be subtle about his obvious fascination with my girlfriend.

MJ take a sip of the champagne from her glass.

"You would seriously be a serious improvement over my current boss," Simon says with a wide grin. "Jameson is a..." He seems to lack the right word. But MJ seems to understand, and so do I.

"Ah – a fellow soldier." MJ laughs, "So happy I don't have to deal with his bullshit anymore." MJ admits, taking a sip of her drink. "We are much better off, right Pete?"

I see my chance to finally put my hands around her. "Yeah. It was a never-ending battle."

"He would always try to claim things that weren't his and spin the truth." I turn my head ever so slightly. "But the trick was to stand up to him, by outsmarting him. Sometimes you just you have to make it clear what is yours and what he cannot have."