7 | dance of the nutcracker

School couldn't get anymore worse.

First, she's the self-proclaimed Im Nayeon's bodyguard.

Second, people thinks she's a spy.

And third, someone who she had left behind has just come back and is attending her school—someone she's never really been fond of.

"Mina." Jeongyeon pulls Mina aside in the hallway, bringing her to an empty corridor. "We need to talk."

"Clearly." Mina's never been one to stretch things out.

"Why are you here?" Jeongyeon gulps, her heart racing fast with fear.

Mina shrugs her shoulders and looks at the students who are passing by. "Is there a reason I can't be, Yoo? Or, maybe, just maybe," Jeongyeon's heart stops for a minute, "I'm here because you ran away from home."

Jeongyeon doesn't comment on it, because sadly enough, it's the truth.

"You're here to take me back, huh?"

Mina shakes her head. "Quite the opposite, actually. I'm here to make you stay."

"Your family wants to always be on top I see. Things haven't changed in the past four years."

This earns a hearty laugh from Mina, but the look on Jeongyeon's face could be interpreted as 'Are you a maniac?'

Because from the way things have always been, it seems so.

The Myoui's and the Yoo's have always had some sort of rivalry between them. Maybe it's because the Yoo's rule the earth, but the Myoui's had been destined for the underworld since time had began.

Myoui Mina, second in line, had always held her head up high when it came to family matters. As far as she was concerned, the Yoo clan didn't deserve all the praise they received. 

"I can't believe you're friends with Tzuyu as well. Are you trying to ruin my life?" Jeongyeon blurted, and Mina could only reply with a smirk. "Fine, but if you try to ruin my life, don't ruin it by killing me. That's the last thing I'll ask for."

Mina sticks her hand out. "Deal."

Jeongyeon has no other choice but to shake it, and a second into the handshake, she pulls away and wipes her hand on her blazer.

"So what's the deal between you and Im? Last night at karaoke there was so much tension." Mina comments as they begin to walk back to class. "More from her side than yours, to be clear."

"I don't know. The girl's got some hate boner for me because I beat her in everything."

"Guess she'll have a hate boner for the both of us then." Mina replies smugly, and Jeongyeon scoffs at the prospect.

"Still as humble as ever, I see." Jeongyeon wryly says as she crosses her arms over.

Mina shoots finger guns at the older girl and smiles. "I try my best."

"I hope you know that was sarcastic."

"Oh was it?" Mina knows it was sarcastic, she just loves to make the older girl annoyed. "Seemed like you actually were being genuine. Sad, guess I have to take back my finger guns."

"Never wanted them in the first place, Myoui."

"Shame I wasted it on you." Mina pouts before looking at Nayeon and Sana, who are heading their way.

Sana seems to whisper something to Nayeon whilst glancing at Jeongyeon, and the latter feels her stomach twist.

"Ooh, Drama~" Mina teases, and Jeongyeon ignores her wiggling hands.

"Shut it."

*****

Mina holds her lunch tray and glances over to the table where the lone Jeongyeon is sitting, and decides to cut the girl some slack.

"Why are you here?" Jeongyeon gruffly looks up at the girl.

"I answered that earlier." Mina deadpans and slides onto the other side of the table. "Anyways, thought you had some friends here?"

Jeongyeon glares at her whilst swallowing her food down. "I do. They're all at different clubs though."

"Didn't you join the sports team?" Mina stabs her pasta before looking back up at Jeongyeon, who nods.

"They cancelled practice for today because the captain and vice-captain have got meetings."

Murmurs around the cafeteria can be heard, and Jeongyeon knows exactly what they're about.

"You're all anyone's talking about today, Myoui." Jeongyeon sighs. "Can you leave my table? I really don't need the attention right now."

Mina shakes her head and continues on eating her food, completely airing Jeongyeon.

Just deal with it, Jeongyeon tells herself, and spends the rest of lunch in silence.

*****

"Hey, Cap!" Jennie walks up to Nayeon, who is pinning some sign-up sheets around the school. "You know the new girls are friends right?"

Nayeon decides not to answer for her own sake.

"Come on, Nayeon. You've always been interested in these sort of things. What's so different about Myoui Mina and Yoo Jeongyeon?"

"The difference is, Jen," Nayeon snaps back with a whisper, "I don't care for those two."

"You cared for Han-"

"I don't want to hear it." Nayeon glares at the girl. "He means nothing."

Jennie sighs and takes the rest of the forms from Nayeon. "Jeez, Cap. You definitely need a break."

She walks away, leaving Nayeon to think by herself for a moment.

The second she goes back into reality, the school bell rings, and Nayeon decides to bunk a lesson, heading to the music room.

The music room has always been her little space. No one ever really came in, and it felt so homely for a girl who never really felt at home anywhere else.

The guitars on their stands, the drums by the window, the trumpets in the closet and the piano just made her feel so alive.

She grabs a guitar from its stand and strums a few chords, suddenly transitioning from 'Buttercup' to Daniel Caesar's 'Best Part'.

It's calming for her.

You don't know babe,
When you hold me,
And kiss me softly,
It's the sweetest thing~

And it don't change,
If I had it my wa-

Nayeon stops and breaks down.

She doesn't know why or how she got to this point, but all these pent up emotions she's been having just leave her body in the form of tears.

The past five years of her school life definitely haven't been the easiest, and not to mention how one of her worst nightmare's are coming back.

She wishes someone could protect her.

Because at this point, Nayeon is a glass vase that needs a pillow to fall on.