Chapter 8

The last file was deleted. I looked over to where Randy and Jake had been fighting. Jake laid motionless in the middle of the room. Randy stood over him, with Jakes gun in his hands.

"Jake!" I screamed. I grabbed one of the knifes from my vest. I threw it at Randy but he ducked and it missed.

"No bad. But I'm also skilled in a knife fight." he pulled a blade from his jacket and motioned for me to get one from mine. "Join us Nes. You and I could go back to the way things were before. We could get married." He wasn't serious. I still knew him well. I knew when he was serious and when he wasn't. And now he wasn't. He was just saying this because he knew that he probably wouldn't win this fight. That made me smile.

"Ah, no." I circled around so I was in between him and Jake. I waited for him to make the first move. My father taught me that when youre fighting someone for the first time, always let them make the fight move. Test their eagerness. Eagerness can get you killed. He stepped quickly toward me, making a desperate move for my stomach. He was every eager. I blocked the move with my blade. Mine was longer than his. This made him have a greater distance for him to get to me. But he had a shorter distance, shorter blade.

He went in for another stab to my ribs. I side stepped and cut his side. I saw a look of fury in his eyes. He slashed, and jab at me. He caught me on my side. I flipped my blade in my hand. He went in first again, I blocked his jab again but this time I saw an opportunity and took it. My blade landed in his stomach. He fell over, holding his stomach. I walked over to Jakes gun and loaded one round.

"Please Vanessa, I love you." He pleaded.

"Bullshit." and I pulled the trigger. I ran over to Jake. He was gasping for air. Immediately I ripped open his shirt and felt a great sense of realif. The bullet to his heart was stopped by his vest.

"Oh you are so lucky!" I exclaimed pulled the bullet free from his vest. I kissed him hard on the mouth. "Targets terminated." I said to Sarah. I heard people scouting in celebration.

"Great job agents. Meet back at base." I helped Jake to his feet and we walked down the stairs to the front door.

******

"You all should feel very proud of yourselves." Sarah said. We were back at base, and there was food, and drinks. A lot of the agents were toasting with champlain, but me and Jake had beers. Believe me, we needed them. "We took out th most dangerous man in the world. We stopped an international weapon dealer, and saved millions of lives. I own the biggest thanks to the daughter of the greatest agents I've ever known, Peter and Ericka Ericson. They taught their daughter well. I know they are very proud of hr and of all of you. To Vanessa!" She raised her glass.

"To Vanessa," everyone repeated. They drank their drink and everyone was celebrating.

"How's the ribs?" Emma asked.

"Hurting. He got me good, but I'm all stitched up."

"Good." She said and gave me a gentle hug.

"Well miss," Jake said coming up behind me. "You saved th day."

"No we did."

"We you two are a great team," Sarah said. She hasnt stopped smiling since we got back.

"Thanks."

"I'm glad I paired you up. But disappointed because you didntbgetntogether sooner." She teased.

"Yeah we'll you know." I said.

"Sarah can I steal her really fast?" Jake asked.

"Well there's no need for her here right now, so yes." Sarah smiled at me like she knew something I didn't. Jake pulled me back to the apartment, we stared out at the city.

"So did you mean it when you said you loved me?" I asked him. He just smiled and looked down at me.

"Yes, I love you." He smiled and kissed me.

"Love you," I said back. It was true, and we just stood there in each others arms. Because right now there wasn't a worry in the world, and right now it was true. Well until tomorrow anyway, but we'd worry when that came.

END OF BOOK 1