Assigning: Chapter 2

"Well! Now that everyone is here, I am going to give you an envelope with your own name on the outside! And on the inside, there is going to be a piece of paper with your partners name on." Monomi started explaining. "For this dance, I will suggest that you learn how to dance with your partner, think of topics to talk about with your partner, and really get to know your partner! Oh, one more thing! When I hand out your envelope I want you to wait to open it, and when you read who your partner is, I want you to stand next to them, here, in the hotel lobby. Hand out time! Chiaki mind helping me?"

"Not at all Monomi." Chiaki said, trying to stay awake.

          They started to hand out the envelopes two by two. First me, then Mahiru, then Nagito, then Fuyuhiko, Ibuki, Chiaki, Sonia, Nekomaru, Akane, Peko, Hiyoko, Kazuichi, Gundham, and Mikan. We all got our envelopes.

"Ooookie dokie! You can open them now!" Monomi called out.

          Some were very eager to find out their partner, like Kazuichi or Ibuki. While others like Peko or Gundham not so much. I waited to open mine until the others opened theirs. I wonder who I'll get. While pondering that thought I saw some faces light up, and others sink.

          One specific person I noticed was Fuyuhiko. He looked very pleased, he even smiled with pink cheeks. Based on his reaction, I think he got Peko, especially considering the fact that her expression was very similar to his. I looked around at my classmates to see a shocked expression coming from Kazuichi and Gundham. I tried to make out who they got by their expressions. I think they might've gotten each other, because they looked at each other and back at their envelopes a couple of times.

          But if they got each other, then that means there can be same-sex couples for this dance. Thinking about that possibility made me hope for one thing. Please not Nagito. I ripped open the top of the envelope to see the one name I was dreading to see:

Nagito Komaeda

          I immediately looked up, searching for Nagito only to find him staring back at me. Although, he looked very pleased with this result. Once we made eye contact he looked away. Since when did he do that? He usually doesn't care when I catch him looking at me.

          People started moving around, and then I realized that now we need to stand next to our partners. My eyes were the only thing that was moving right now. They darted from side to side to see the pairings, some were even holding hands. I saw Fuyuhiko next to Peko, Akane next to Nekomaru, Hiyoko next to Mahiru, Ibuki next to Mikan, Kazuichi next to Gundham and finally Sonia next to..Chiaki? I saw Nagito starting to walk towards me and I panicked, but didn't move, I didn't make eye contact either.

          "Hehehe!" Monomi started giggling and we all turned our heads to hear what she was about to say. "Now that everyone is next to their partners! I will advise you to look at the other paper in your envelope. That paper contains the information of the party, like the time, the location, the food, the songs, and stuff like that. Go spend time with your partner! Buh-bye!" After Monomi finished talking, she disappeared. No one started talking yet, I think it's because we were all still in shock about what happened.

          "Mikan, Ibuki is looking forward to hanging out with you!" Ibuki shouted to Mikan.

           "I-thank you, I-Ibuki, but you're a b-bit loud..." Mikan stuttered with blush forming on her face. Sonia and Chiaki, looked at each other and smiled. They were also holding hands. I'm happy for them. I heard voices around me, some gentle and kind, and some were pissed.

          I was looking around me and made eye contact with Nagito. I immediately looked away but it was too late. Nagito started walking towards me.