Chapter 4: Go and Fight

After a few days Aelwyne found herself in Dr. Burke's service along with Cristina, who looked somewhat odd. Cristina had told her that she needed to tell her something in case Meredith ever needed help. Aelwyne had asked what it was but Bailey had yelled at them for not paying attention. So Cristina simply said 'later' and continued to walk along.

First they went on rounds and each intern got a turn to present. Then they got a call about a patient with possible diverticulitis. As they made their way towards the elevators they could hear the patient yelling and demanding to speak with the chief. Meredith went pale and stopped.

"What are you doing here?" The patient spat at her.

Cristina reached for the chart while Aelwyne got the account from the paramedics. Cristina was reading the chart out loud when she stopped before saying the patient's name and when Bailey pushed for it. Cristina looked at Meredith who was starting to scurry away.

"Ellis Grey." She said quietly but loud enough to be heard by Bailey.

All of the interns and Bailey turned to look at Meredith. Who was now hiding behind the wall. Aelwyne walked towards her, grabbed her hand and led her to the locker room. Once there everyone wanted to come in and say something. But Bailey stood at the door not letting them through. Aelwyne just stood there next to Meredith as she had not let go of her hand. Then Bailey assigned everyone to their attendings including Aelwyne who was again with Burke and Cristina. She pried her hand away from Meredith's and squeezed her shoulder reassuringly before walking away.

——————————————————————

"Man now how do we help her? Like do we help her? That's her mom and she has Alzheimer's. Like how do you even deal?" Cristina asked quietly.

"I don't know but I hope we can somehow help her." Aelwyne replied.

"We'll figure it out. I hope. Anyway, do you miss her?" Cristina asked casually.

"Huh?" Aelwyne replied.

"The She-Shepherd? You had been with her since she got here until a few days ago." Cristina continued.

"Why would I... I mean she's a good teacher... but like... I mean... no?" Aelwyne attempted.

"Oh Aelwyne ... you've got to hots for McHot. Don't you?" Cristina asked teasingly.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She replied.

"Well you're not denying it." Cristina chuckled.
"Cristina" she warned.

"Ok. Ok. I mean there's nothing wrong with liking ladies you know." Cristina said.

"Cristina I'm straight. I mean I think. But her. I don't know what happens with her. I don't know makes me doubt. Please don't tell anyone. Please Cristina." She begged.

"Hey it's ok" Cristina said nudging her slightly.

"Promise me, Cristina." She continued. "Promise."

"Ok. Fine. I promise not to tell but why be ashamed? I mean I like both. Life is too short to keep yourself tied to one flavor. If you know what I mean." Cristina said with a wink and smik. Aelwyne smiled and shook her head.

But she was scared. Scared of this thing. Was it a feeling? What kind of feeling? And she's a teacher. And she just met her. Well not entirely met her she knew next to nothing about her. All she knew was that she was successful and alone in a marriage that had slightly pushed her to cheat. And cheating was an escape. And she had paid. And from the look in her eyes on her face she was still paying it. And she wasn't excusing her but Derek was also to blame. But how? How could he leave her alone? How could he leave a woman so smart and kind. Painfully kind as Meredith had put it one time. She was beautiful. So how? How did he do it?