Chapter 17: With You

"Aelwyne." Everyone turned to face him as he took a more serious tone. "We got a call from the DAs office. They want you to testify either later today or tomorrow morning. They said it was up to you."

In an instant the high from surgery, the glint of pride as the chief had praised her, the happiness as she had heard her friends cheer for her, all of the good things vanished. It all vanished and was replaced with instant dread and fear and shame. At least she was not shaking at the mention of Ethan or the trial anymore, however, she still tensed up every time. The slight smile that had adorned her face withered down completely. The trial. She had been happy when there had been no mention of it. She knew it was coming. Knew she would have to face him. However she had been content not to have had to do it just yet. She was not sure how she would do this. Would she be strong enough?

"Aelwyne." Richard's voice cut through her thoughts. "Aelwyne." He repeated softly.

"Y-yes?" Aelwyne's voice came low and ragged.

"Are you up to it? You don't have to today. I can tell them you are not available today. And tomorrow I can do the same." Richard offered.

Aelwyne looked at him for a while then down at the ground. Then she looked at her friends and Bailey, all with concern in their eyes. Then she looked at her. Addison was equally concerned but as their eyes met her mouth form a soft reassuring smile. Aelwyne looked into her eyes and took a deep breath. Resolved, she turned to the chief once more.

"Thank you but no. I want to do it today if that's ok and I can be spared." Aelwyne said her voice sounding slightly normal.

"Of course. That can be arranged right Dr. Bailey?" Richard said looking at the resident.

"Yes it's just one intern. We can spare her." Bailey replied quickly then she noticed the two squirming interns next to her. "And someone else. Just one of you so decide now."

"Ah... ummm... me or you?" Cristina said to Meredith.

"That's up to her." Meredith said turning to Aelwyne.

"Umm I don't-" Aelwyne began but was quickly interrupted.

"What do you mean me or you? You have surgery in about an hour. You forget you made me look like an ass this morning. I best not have endured that just so you could leave." Alex said angrily.

"Well if you knew your stuff you wouldn't have looked like an ass evil spawn." Cristina bit back.

"It's not fair you're always with cardio how are we supposed to learn." Izzie added.

"Study, Barbie. Then maybe you can do something else with that head of yours. You know it's not just to carry that pretty blonde hair." Cristina countered.

"Why do you have to be so mean?" George said softly.

"Why do you have to be so mean?" Cristina repeated in a mocking tone.

"Cristina." Meredith warned but it was too late.

"What in the HELL is all this bickering for?" Bailey shouted causing all six interns to stand up straight and close their mouths. Both Addison and Richard chuckled slightly at the effect she had on them.

"You idiots are interns if you want in on a surgery you prepare, end of story." The resident directed towards Izzie, Alex, and George. Then she moved to Cristina. "As for you I will have you switch specialties soon. Everyone needs to get a turn. No favorites in here." She added addressing the last two, Meredith and Aelwyne. "Now off to the pit you two. And you go check on my post op. And you... the surgery is in an hour you moron so go prep the patient."