Chapter 1

*three months later*

“Avery come downstairs and eat your breakfast,” I yelled putting a pancake on a plate for her. Avery was my seven year old daughter and yes, I had her very young. I was sixteen when I had her. She loved her dad Josh. She was such a daddy’s girl. He could make her laugh when she was sad. She looked just like me with her brown, straight hair but she had Josh’s blue eyes and not my hazel ones. But she was a good combination of the two of us.

She came downstairs slowly. She looked emotionless, like she was empty inside. No fun, no smiles, no laughter. Just hurt and sorrow. She sat and played with her food like she did every morning. It was the summer time and Avery rarely left the house. “Avery you need to have fun with your friends. I hate seeing you this way”

“What friends?” she said. I looked at her confused. “They don’t like me. They said I changed and they didn’t like me. I don’t have anyone anymore.”

“You have me, Avery. I’m always here for you,” I said a little hurt that she would think that.

“No you’re not,” she got up and went to go upstairs.

“Avery!” I went to the bottom of the steps. “I’m always here for you, but you shut me out. I want to help you if you let me.”

“There’s nothing you can help me with. Nothing will change,” she went up to her room and shut the door. Me and Avery’s relationship has changed since josh died.

I went upstairs and knocked on her door. “Avery I want you to get dressed. We’re going out.”

“I don’t want to go anywhere. I want to stay here.”

“Please.”

“Fine,” she said and I heard her get off her bed. I wanted to take her out to the park and get ice cream. Maybe I can cheer her up and she’ll make new friends.

I went to my bedroom and quickly got changed into jean shorts and a t-shirt. I looked at my dresser and saw a picture of me and josh. “I’m trying,” I whispered. “To make everything better.”

I walked downstairs and saw Avery putting her converse on. “You ready?” I asked putting my flip flops on.

“I guess,” she said and we started to walk to the park.