xii - the ritual is a price to pay

chapter twelve,      the ritual is a price to pay

chapter twelve, the ritual is a price to pay

IT ALL FELT UNREAL. As if it was a cruel joke. And it was. A thousand years were spent trying to break a fake curse. Chasing creatures that didn't affect the ritual whatsoever. So much blood spilled, so many lives taken, so many treaties broken, and family members turned against him—for a ritual that wasn't even real.

How could he reason everything he has done? Everything he has done so that the ritual could happen. It was all on him. He spent over a thousand years bringing terror into this world and he learned to love it. To enjoy it. If Nature was so keen to keep him under control, it shouldn't have done this. It shouldn't have given the power to another person.

The worst part of all, the alcohol couldn't even take an ounce of betrayal away. Betrayed by his own mother. It wasn't his fault she decided to be unfaithful and break the laws of Nature, creating who he was. An enemy in all their eyes, but he wasn't born one.

"Anything new? You have been occupying the journal for several days now," Elijah's voice brought him back into reality. The two empty whiskey bottles didn't even make him tipsy. They didn't even numb the pathetic void in his chest.

"If you are hoping the ritual will be off—it won't be," Klaus mumbled, looking at the journal placed on the table.

Elijah walked to the table, looking through the window that was right in front of it. The moon was slowly getting fuller with every night. The ritual was coming closer. "I know the ritual must occur. It just doesn't make any sense."

Klaus chuckled and gently shook his head, "I've spent over a thousand years chasing a curse that was just as good as a fairytale. I don't think anything can make sense."

"But she has already died once," Elijah pointed out.

Yes, she has already died once. Exhaling, the incomplete hybrid pushed the journal closer to the edge, flipping the pages to reveal one of the entries.

'A power of such yearns for disaster. To undo the damage that I have spread onto this world like a disease, I asked the power of Nature to guide me. For the evil to have a chance to become good. For the murderer to save lives. For the insatiable to live content. No man should have this kind of power and the diversion will work long enough.

With the guidance of Nature, we divided the biggest purpose of the power away from the man. With the intent to not spread the disease further. The creation is the power that should have only belonged to the daughters of Nature, but to my mistake, it is spreading further. To ensure the destruction is delayed, Nature guided us to store the power in a mortal soul and let it die. When the mortal dies – the power dies with it forever and cannot be accessed ever again. Nature will choose the right soul. We do not know which one or when will it be. We trust Nature.