Blanket Forts

Thursday, December 20th

The girls woke up that morning and made cookies to be delivered that evening. It was a nice day outside, and she didn't want to deal with her hungover father, so Samantha decided to go for a walk with Jackie and Adeline. Adeline pulled on her coat and skipped outside. Samantha pulled a hoodie over her head and Jackie buttoned up her coatSamantha waves at Samuel and Alan and walks outside with Addie and Jackie"Well," She said. "Where to?""Can we go to the park?" "We went to the park yesterday.""So? I want to see if my snowman and snowlady is still there.""Alright, I guess."When they arrived at the park, they saw two boys who were a little older than Adeline destroying her snowpeople"Hey, what the hell!" Jackie said, scooping up a ball of snowAdeline and Samantha followed her leadThey pelted the boys with snow, some of the snowballs had rocks tucked into themThe bullies booked it for the hills after the three slowly started pressing towards them"Let's fix your snow couple.""It's not just a couple no more," Adeline said. "They're a mommy and a daddy now."Adeline created three medium sized snow balls and pressed them together, creating a smaller snowman"I think maybe they should have a dog, too."Adeline stood up and backed up, admiring what she created.She approached the snowpeople again, creating two more medium sized snowladies, representing Jackie and Samantha."See?" Adeline looked up at Samantha. "It's our family. You, Jackie, me, Daddy, and Samuel!" Samantha smiled at her and gave her a hug. "It sure is."Back at home, Alan and Samuel were on the couch in front of the fireplace drinking tea. Alan read that green tea was good for hangovers."So, the girls are already gone. What do you want to do today?" Samuel asked. "Something relaxing.""Yeah, I have a migraine.""Hmm." Alan sipped his tea. "Do you want to build a fort?""A fort? What kind of fort?""Like... A blanket fort. Right here in the living room. The girls have enough blankets.""Seriously?""I mean, yeah."Dragging blankets to the first floor, Alan and Samuel laughed together a lotSuddenly, Alan gets a phone call from an unknown numberHe picks it up and hears a familiar voice. He recognizes it as Jackie's and Jonathan's motherA firm voice said, "so you're the man who has been taking care of my rat of a daughter.""Excuse me?""She is constantly running away from home and we never see her anymore.""Do you want me to bring her home?""No. Keep her forever please. She ended up gay or something, I was completely content with just my wonderful son. If I could get her adopted out, I would never be happier.""Ma'am, why did you call me?""I called you to warn you. She has anger issues and we want nothing to do with her anymore. Our son Jonathan is a genious and we wish her away, she's not even a B student.""Ma'am, I could take her off of your hands." Samuel cupped a hand over his mouth."And how's that?""All you have to do is sign a few papers and present them to the court. I'll take care of Jackie in the meantime."Alan and Samuel smiled at each other and Samuel bounced up and down"That's it? That's all we have to do to get rid of her?""Yes ma'am.""It's a deal then. She's all yours. And for the record, my name is not ma'am."The woman hung up the phone."Well, Samuel, by default, I guess you're a dad now.""That's fantastic!" Samuel flung his arms around Alan and congradulated him.When Samantha and the girls walked in the front door, they saw Alan and Samuel sitting inside of a blanket fortAlan was on his laptop, printing out a few papers. When Jackie walked in, Alan jumped up and grabbed the papers, keeping them hidden from Jackie's view."Dad... What is this..." Samantha asked, noticing the blankets all over the place and the chairs turned over. "I'm not sure what you mean, Oyster."After delivering cookies to the neighbors, the girls go upstairs to Samantha's room to watch a movie on her laptop"Okay, I see how it is, Samantha, avoiding your old man, eh?""Silence, old man!" She shouted from the top of the stairs.Alan looked over at Samuel and said, "after you, sir," And motioned towards their fort.Alan and Samuel crawl into their very own blanket fort"Are you enjoying your stay with the girls and I?""Very much, I would stay forever if I could. I can't believe I'm only half way thorugh my stay here.""Why don't you?""Why don't I what?""Why don't you stay here with us?""Forever?""Yeah.""I can't stay here forever, I can't intrude for that long-""Intrude on what? The only thing you have?" Alan cut him offSamuel folded his fingers and put his hands behing his head. "I guess you're right. I have no where to go, huh."Alan looks over at him. "You don't have to go anywhere. What if... What if you did stay here forever.""What if we were something." Samuel said. They looked at each other. "Was that too far? I'm sorry.""No," Alan said, "I was thinking the same thing. I want you in my girls' life. I want you in my life. I want to be something.""What kind of something?""Look, Samuel," Alan propped himself up on his elbows. "I know that we've only known each other for a few days, but I feel like you are truly my other half, not to be weird.""I feel the same way, it's not weird. You brought me into your home and I feel like your home is my home now.""This is your home. We are your family. Never forget that.""Lets... Be something.""Lets."The new couple smiled at each otherAlan reached over Samuel's chest and hugged him from the side"As a new couple," Alan said. "How are we going to tell Jackie about her new home?"Samuel just smiled at him.Unbeknownst to them, Adeline had creeped downstairs for a snack and listened inShe quietly scurried back upstars to report her findings to her big sister"Sissy!" Adleine squealed. "Daddy and Samuel are... uh... Something!""What are you talking about, Squirt?""I was eevedroppin.""Eavesdropping?""Yeah, I said that. Daddy wants Samuel to stay here forever and I think he agreed." She looked at Jackie. "And I think we're keeping you, Jackie.""What?" Jackie said. Adeline shrugged. "Daddy said something about legal stuff." She turned to Samantha. "Sammie, what does 'adoption' mean?"