You Have To Walk To Fly

HELLO. It's me here, before you start. I hope you are okay with character death. Because if you aren't.... I'm sorry.

Please Vote, Comment and Share because it's genuinely ages since I asked and it would be nice to actually have votes for once since the original 2 people that were reading this... one's account died and the other isn't around much anymore.

I really enjoy it when people vote and comment, it makes my work feel appreciated. So thanks. Enjoy.

This is not the last chapter, there will be more. Do not fear.

◇◇◇

12th February

◇◇◇

Chapter 11

Finnick's POV

Katniss glares up at me, looking even shorter than normal. "Of course I'm sure. I want to be able to walk."

Hazel raises her eyebrow, "I don't think it's a good idea. I mean, you're in the chair so it isn't painful."

Katniss then focuses her glare on Hazel.

"Just let her try," I say, "what's the worst that could happen? We have to strap her to the chair to stop her hurting herself?"

Hazel sighs, walking over to Katniss in the small wheelchair. "Fine." She pulls Katniss's arm and tries to steady her as she stands. A grimace crosses Katniss's face. "Okay, I'm getting you some crutches at least."

"I'm okay," Katniss replies, "I don't need the crutches."

"Yes, you do. You've been shot in the legs. It's going to be painful, so it's either the crutches or the chair."

And a painful half an hour later, Katniss manages to walk with the crutches- even if she does fall over a lot. Somehow, Hazel deems her safe to walk around as long as she keeps the crutches and sits down if the pain is too much.

She's gone when Peeta walks in. "Hey Finnick."

"Hi," I reply. "How's your head?"

His shoulders lift and fall again. "It's okay, I suppose. It aches a bit, but it's not as bad as yesterday. How's your foot? And your arm?"

"The foot hurts. I guess I'm the third person here struggling to walk. The arm... I don't know, Hazel keeps injecting me with something that makes it numb, so it just feels weird really. It's probably going to be quite painful. Did you get a new leg?"

"Yeah," he nods, moving his left leg a little, "it's less heavy than the last one, so hopefully I won't be as much of a hindrance."

"Clearly the Capitol's made improvements," I say, laughing, "but you aren't a hindrance."

He stays silent for a few minutes. 

"Peeta, you really aren't."

"Why am I even still here?" He says.

"Because you're important." He looks up from the floor to me, and I feel uncomfortable just sitting here on the pile of furs. "To me. To Katniss. To the Games, and the Capitol and to 13. Because you're a survivor. And that's the one thing people need right now to fight back. To realise we can get through this. And survive."