one: night drives

Ricky and Nini have been friends for many years. They met early in kindergarten and have been inseparable ever since. Their friendship has always been taken for granted by everyone. Of course everyone have wondered at least once if they are dating or not and to be honest, the two friends have too. But love is complicated. Especially when you already have a very meaningful friendship. 

The thought of loosing your best friend is terrifying and was haunting them every day. Admitting their feelings to each other might lead to a ruined friendship or something more than that. Maybe, if they were lucky, they would end up together. But losing their absolute best friend wasn't worth risking even if it was a chance for them to be more than friends. So they decided not to say anything about it to anyone. 

Sure people realized that they had feelings for each other. Especially their close friends. They have been asking for years if something is going on between them and the answer is the same every time. Just a "no" comes out of their mouths after every question about the topic. Everyone suppose the feeling is there except themselves. Maybe because you always imagine the worst when it comes to what you suppose people think about you. But believing someone you like might like you the same way. That is rare. Especially if you are Ricky and Nini. 

Ricky realized that he had feelings for his best friend a long time ago. They were now in their last year of high school and Ricky have been hiding his feelings since seventh grade. First he felt disgusted by the feeling he had for his best friend and wouldn't accept the feeling at all. Then after a while he couldn't hide it from himself anymore. He tried to get rid of it for years but he couldn't. He even tried to go on dates and hook up with other girls. But he never felt anything for anyone except Nini. He didn't care about those girls like he cared about Nini, he didn't protect them like he did with Nini, he didn't look at them the same way and they didn't look like Nini. Nini was gorgeous. Both inside and out. Imperfections was something you had to search for for a long time if you wanted to find any. But most important. They weren't Nini. He couldn't love anyone like he loved Nini. Thats when he accepted that his feeling for Nini would never go away. She was perfect but maybe they weren't. Because if they were. They would have been more than friends already, right?

However, he was scared. That was probably the biggest reason he didn't let it out. Telling Nini about it was something he feared. He couldn't loose Nini which there was a possible risk for if he spilled out his guts. He found it easier to live with his feelings without talking about them to anyone. But deep down he was hurting really bad while having to watch and listen to her talking about other guys she found cute or might have a crush on. He was jealous. She didn't realized that. She used to see Ricky as this innocent boy who would never even kiss someone he didn't fully knew. But lately he had been acting different. Making out with people during parties and then taking in further upstairs. What Nini did not know was that the only reason he was doing it was to maybe loose feelings for the only girl he had ever loved. His best friend. Love that felt illegal. 

Today was Saturday. The school week had been long with a lot of tests and homework since graduating was just around the corner. It was 3 am when Nini looked at her clock on her white bedside table. She couldn't sleep at all and by this time she had tried everything. Even counting sheep she imagined inside her brain. It was something one of her moms told her to do when she was younger and couldn't sleep. Sometimes it worked but this time it was hopeless. She had a feeling of worry in her body that night. Since high school soon was over she wondered what would happen to her friendships with her friends. Mostly Ricky. She never saw them as friends that would stop talking because of collage. She wouldn't let that happen. 

Since nothing worked to let her sleep she decided to sit down at her piano. It was her dearest property. Playing piano and letting her heart out was her favorite thing to do. Especially when she couldn't sleep. Sometimes she even wrote her own songs. Mostly about her feelings for the boy she knew she couldn't be with. Therefore writing songs never really made her happier. They were not necessarily happy.