two: if by chance

This one shot is inspired by one of @Sxrxhxnguyenx one shots. This one is based on the song "if by chance" by Ruth B.

I can't believe it's been all these years, ican't believe I've cried all these tears
My friends tell me I should've moved on a long, long time ago
But what do they know? Mm, what do they know?

Nini could still find herself thinking about the boy she once fell in love with. It was a long time ago now. It was nearly seven years ago they took the mutual decision to end what they had together. They loved each other. But sometimes that isn't enough even though you wish it was. Having a relationship with someone means so much more than that. It contains trust and consideration of yourself. Their relationship didn't. Everything they did, they did because of each other. Every decision they made included the others thought they might hold. They started to loose themselves with time. And eventually all they had left of themselves was each other.

That is the scary thing about love. You can fall so deeply in love with someone that you loose yourself. That might sound and feel like heaven in a beautiful and romantic movie. But in real life, it is hell.

Breaking up broke them both deeply. It took a long time before any of them started to socialize again. They always used to talk about their problems if something in their relationship didn't feel right. But this time it didn't work. This time it was other kinds of problem. Real problems that was nearly impossible to solve. Therefore ending their years long relationship was the best thing they could do even if it would leave them scarred for a lifetime.

Nini could still find herself crying to sleep all these years later. Sure, she had tried to move on but that wasn't as easy as it seemed. She hadn't even managed to catch feelings for anyone. It seemed impossible when the only guy that never left her mind was Ricky. The guy that once healed her heart to then break it.

Moving on was hard for her to do. So after a while she stopped trying. She lost hope and couldn't find fulfillment in life again. Her friends on the other hand told her she should've moved on a long, long time ago. But she didn't listen. "What do they know?" She taught to herself while hearing those words leaving their mouths.

And I don't mean to be selfish, but my heart breaks every time that I see you smile
'Cause I know that it's not me who brings it out of you anymore

After Ricky and Nini decided to leave their relationship behind they didn't reached out to each other once. They still meant a lot to each other, but having to face each other again would be like filling salt in the wounds. So they didn't. If it made them feel any better was a question no one could answer.

One day Nini was walking down the cobblestones when she hears a familiar laugh. She immediately froze. The sound of his sooting voice made her heart drop. It gave her a feeling of comfort, even if they had to pretend they didn't mean anything to each other anymore. But then, that feeling of comfort completely left her body. She saw him laughing and smiling from afar. That always made her happy. But this time it broke her heart. 'Cause it wasn't her that brought it out of him anymore.

She hated herself for feeling broken when she saw him smile without her. If you truly love someone, you would want them to be happy. Even if it was without your intention, right? But she didn't feel that way. She new the love she had for him never left. But she couldn't feel anything else than her heart break when she saw that he was happy. Without her.

She never realized that moving on was harder to do when the one that you love moves on faster than you do. But most of all. Having to move on from someone that fell in love with someone new was something she never thought she would have to do. Having to move on from Ricky was not her plan at the time she could love him without it hurting. The thing with love is that you never know how it will end. Instead you let someone in to your life. Knowing they might break your heart, eventually. But you still tie a string with each other. Thinking it will work out. And when it don't, it will leave a part of you empty for a long time, maybe forever.