five: our time is now

Nini and Ricky have a chocking history with each other. In a time where poor and rich were not acceptable, could they still love each other?

******************************************

She could hear the whistles from the captain on the boat she was on. He could too. He looked up and saw her sitting twenty feet away from him, so why were they both pretending they were miles apart? It was like seeing a stranger they knew very well. But sometimes their history wasn't enough.

Nini's family's summer house laid right by the ocean on a beautiful island. They were going to celebrate one of life's biggest gifts. In a few weeks she was getting married. To a man her family loved. Sure, he was handsome, he was rich, he was a kind gentleman. But all she knew was that her heart didn't beat for him.

The boat was old and rusty. Loud sounds could be heard miles away on the sea when it made its way over to the other side of the horizon. It was one of those moments everyone wanted to capture, sitting beside their love and watching the waves float by. Everyone on the boat cheered of happiness. She was too, on the outside. On the inside she was screaming.

Nini met her fiancé a few months ago at a party she had organized in her part of her family's restaurant. She was well known it their town and every newspaper wanted to get a hold of her at that party, asking her about how she could manage to run a business by herself as a young woman. She was standing besides a handsome male with brown straight hair that fell down over his green eyes when a journalist came up to her and asked to take a picture with her and her "husband". They both laughed at the man in front of them and let him take a few pictures. After that they hadn't left each other's sides once.

His name was August. He may have loved her and was willing to do everything to keep her happy. Her name was Nini and she often wondered why being loved wasn't enough. She wanted to care more about being loved than needing the love she could feel towards someone else. The biggest problem was that she couldn't give him the love he deserved. She didn't love him. Her heart beat for the curly haired man twenty feet away from her on the boat they both sat on. But no one could ever know that. Nini's conscience was incredibly bad since she knew she could never love her fiancé like she could with him.

He was a poor chef at her family's fancy restaurant. She was a rich beautiful girl who had her whole life predicted. No one could ever imagine the history they had, it was not accepted, it was not right. Ricky from the suburbs and Nini from the rich part of the city? It was bizarre.

No one knew about all the nights they shared together in every deserted place they could find. Every time she had snuck him into her room at four in the morning without her mom finding out. Or every time they had used the word "love" as an expression as to how they felt towards each other. Their feelings were proof that love existed. But the time told them it was not right. Therefore, he was now sitting as a chef on the boat with the soon to be married couple to cook them and their fancy friends an even fancier dinner as early celebrations.

Something that had never been a problem for Nini before she met August was that she never stood away from her dreams. She never dreamed of being a home sitted mom. She wanted to explore the world and work in the restaurant. With August that wasn't possible, there was no way a woman could run a business at that time. But with him it was. With him she could follow her dreams and be happy. With Ricky it could be perfect.

"I was thinking about red flowers." He could hear her soon to be husband say to their friend group. The curly haired man laughed quietly to himself, he knew that she didn't like red flowers. She liked daisies and every other white flower there was to find.

She nodded at her fiancé's statement. "What about a celebration at the party floor at the restaurant?" She said and he could hear the uncertainty in her voice. But of course her fiancé didn't pick up on that. He didn't know her like Ricky did.