PROLOGUE

Mark wavered his way to the familiar route of his apartment. The cemented ground was inclining downward, causing his tracks to speed up a percent as he yawned. It's a common thing to reach the street with a tired body and an exhausted soul, the dim darkness of the night engulfing him as the city electricians never found the time to fix the broken street lamps.

After all, he was used to the dark, and he has been through the worst. Mark didn't find the reason to file a request that will surely add to the pile of complaints on top of the mayor's table.

He scoffed at the thought.

Right when he took a left turn, an excruciating scream passed by his hearing. Goosebumps ran on his skin as he barely felt how painful the sound was. He winced, trying to get the disturbing sense off as he continued his way.

The gargling sound only became louder, now slowly fainting. It made his blood curl, thousands of memories riling in his head.

Mark missed it. Surely he wanted to hear it again, but with his own hands.

He took a couple of deep breaths, chanting himself to stop and to remind himself that he left for a reason, and that's final—his fists clenched.

Now faint voices were the only ones being heard when he took the last curve to his apartment. The top floors of the building are already peeking at the tall trees, waving at him.

Mark fastened his tracks but abruptly stopped when a sudden sting bounced on his skin. He quickly pulled the sleeves up of his jacket, and his eyes immediately darted to the all-knowing spot—his wrist.

He winced as the delicate rose tattoo flashed red. His skin felt like it was burning, yet Mark only endured the pain and decided to keep walking. He's already stressed enough in university, and he only wants to cuss the shit out of his soulmate.

Like the deities, he knew how much he despised the system. Maybe more than half of the hate goes to his soulmate, serving nothing but pain. But behind those nags, he can't help but to worry.

He winced as he softly rubbed his wrist under the clothing, now running at the entrance of the building, where he chanted the usual greeting to the guards on duty and swiftly made his way to the elevator.

Mark could only let out a distressed sigh, his back slumping on the metal walls as his eyes redirected to his clothed wrist.

"What did she do now?" he grumbled, also smacking his head because he never knew if it's a he or a she; nevertheless, he chose to be partnered up with a girl.

But the real question is, what is his soulmate really like?

Because ever since the damned rose tattoo waltzed on his skin, the first thing he felt was pain rather than shock.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

❝ don't you have anything to do rather than hurt me? ❞

❝ yup killing you ❞