2. Motherf*cker

THE GIRLS' LOCKER ROOM, at any given time, was my least favourite place in the world.

        I didn't know why, exactly, but something about being in a small, crowded, misty room with thirty female bodies just set me on edge. 

        It might have been the combination of bare, gleaming skin: a glimpse of a tan shoulder, the smooth edge of a backside. And there was just something―something―about a girl's ass that always made my heart pound.

       It wasn't like I was attracted to girls, but―

       "Are you listening to me?" Skylar said.

       "Not even close," I mumbled.

        My first period of the semester: gym. 

        I was really wishing I had chosen a wiser elective. Like poly-science or nutrition or family studies. Anything. Anything would have been better than this.

        "This is the first day of school," I told Skylar. "And it sucks so far."

        "It's not even eleven a.m. yet."

        "That's the biggest problem."

        "Oh, come on," Skylar teased, wringing the water out of her pink-and-purple strands of hair. "What do you have next? Chemistry? History? English?"

        "Math. We should have run away when we had the chance."

        Skylar stood just as the bell rang. The mist was clearing, the soft steamy tendrils swirling through the opened doors. Slowly, steadily, the stream of girls tugged on clothing and made their way into the corridor.

        I could finally breathe.

        It wasn't like I had anything to hide, but . . . 

        "Talia!" Skylar snapped her fingers in front of me. "You are so distracted. I forgot to ask―how did the fake proposal with Aaron go yesterday?"

        "He pretended to be a drug-dealing felon that knocked up my mom," I said. "It was so romantic."

         Skylar giggled. "I am totally going to steal him next time. That sounds better than Cody's stupid ideas."

         "We're definitely going to get into trouble for this one day."

         "Maybe we'll get chased by the police," Skylar said, brown eyes brightening. "And then my morning runs will actually be useful."

         "You run in the morning just so you'll be prepared to run from the police?"

         Skylar held the door open, waiting for me to follow her. We were the last ones out of the changeroom. "Of course I do! Why the fuck else would I put myself through that torture?"

         AARON AND I HAD  been best friends since sixth grade―the first of our self-proclaimed little group―and Skylar had come next. Her parents were rich hippie stoners, and I had loved her from the moment she strutted into Mrs. DeMarco's class and asked, "Edward or Jacob?"

        A few girls had immediately responded. A chorus of Edward's and Jacob's followed the question.

        I was probably the only one who didn't answer. 

        Why would I care about Edward or Jacob from Twilight?  If anything, I much preferred Rosalie Hale. She was a lot more fascinating than either.