28. F*ck A Duck

SOMEHOW, I MANAGED TO PULL myself together enough to harmonize some of the best songs we'd ever done. Our band even got a standing ovation.

      Over an hour later, happy with adrenaline, I met my friends at the table.

      "That was great," Aaron said, kissing me.

      I didn't even mind it—the kiss. His lips on mine. It was very friendly, and I liked friendly. What was wrong with friendly? Everyone should be friendly. Friendly people were great and nice and awesome. I loved friendly people, because friendliness was a very admirable, friendly trait.

      "You're very nice," I told Aaron, poking his hard chest.

      "Nice? I hope I'm more than that." He bent his head down to kiss me again, and I grabbed him by his cheeks. But instead of bringing his mouth to mine, I just squeezed his face.

       "You're so cute," I teased. "Adorable. Look at you. So cute."

       "I swear to God, she seems more drunk now than when she had vodka in her system," Cody hissed to Skylar.

       I pinched Aaron's cheeks. He really was nice and cute and adorable and nice. 

       Did I say nice twice?

       A giggle escaped me. That rhymes. 

       Aaron had such round hazel eyes, with those pretty black lashes. It occurred to me that he must wax his eyebrows, because they were neat and thick, with defined edges.

       "You're such a beautiful boy," I told Aaron. It was too bad I didn't like boys. We could've been perfect together.

      We are perfect together. I do like boys. 

       I stumbled a bit. The rush of adrenaline was so strong I couldn't even feel my hands; my whole body felt numb, but at the same time, I wanted to  dance.

      "I'm going to go get a water," I said, gesturing to the bar.

      Cody started, "I wouldn't do that if I were—"

      But Claudia cut him off with a sweet smile. "Of course. Go right ahead, Talia. Water is very refreshing."

      "I'll come with you," Aaron offered.

      "No! No, I mean. What? You think I can't get water?  That's like . . . mansplaining. Or something." I steadied myself with a deep breath. "Come on. I can totally grab water by myself."

       Aaron narrowed his eyes, but he didn't push. I had a feeling the whole table were watching me as I walked towards the bar.

      "One water, please?" I asked, climbing onto a stool.

      The girl next to me said, "One for me, too."

      That voice sounded familiar. I turned sideways.

      "Monroe!" I exclaimed. 

      "The one and only," she responded dryly.

      "Monroe Maisie Kingston."

       She raised an eyebrow as the bartender slid us both a glass of water. "You look so proud of yourself for knowing my middle name."

        A grin bubbled up to the surface. "It's like your Achilles' heel. Everything about you is so cool except for your middle name. Maisie."