9. F*ck Love

"Are you serious?" Skylar asked.

       "I don't know if I'm bisexual or gay or maybe just in love with Monroe Kingston, but—" Oh, shit, did I say that out loud?  "I mean, I just—I'm not sure. Maybe I just need to, um, experiment. Maybe I'm straight but like . . . with . . . spice."

       Skylar narrowed her brown eyes. "Experiment?"

       "Yeah! Yeah." I coughed. "Um. That's a good idea."

       "Did you say something about being in love with Monroe Kingston?"

        "I was just. Um. Kidding."

        "Okay, because if you are, I won't kiss her." Skylar raised an eyebrow, like a challenge.

         But if I claimed Monroe, that was . . . that was the end. Then it was real. Then there was coming out, and telling my parents and telling my sister and—God. It just seemed so fucking impossible. 

         No. Not yet. It wasn't fair to Skylar, wasn't fair to myself.

         For the love of God, I had told Monroe I was straight.

         "No, yeah, it's—um—totally fine, if you still want to go ahead and do . . . uh, that. Kiss her. Yeah. That's . . ." I swallowed. "Fine."

         At that moment, my phone started ringing.

         Skylar leaned over. "Really? Why does that contact name say My #1 Best Friend, Talia? That's me."

         I picked up the phone. "What's up?" I asked. Like I wasn't having a sexual crisis.

         "Talia," said Aaron. "We need to talk."

         Those words were always inspiring.

          "Aaron, now's probably not a good time."

          Skylar was mouthing, Seriously? Aaron? That's your #1 Best Friend?  I'm your #1 Best Friend, not him!

          "No." Aaron cleared his throat. "It's a really good time. Talia. Seriously. Before I lose my nerve."

          "You're acting weird, idiot."

          "It's important. Please. Meet me on my roof in five?"

          "Five minutes? Are you fucking crazy?"

          "Five minutes. See you there, asshole." He hung up, and I was left staring dumbfounded at the screen.

           Skylar plucked my phone out of my hand, probably to change her contact name.

           "Sky, we have five minutes. Take me to Aaron's?"

           Skylar mouth curved, almost as if she was conflicted. But then she nodded, resolute, and slammed her foot down on the pedal.

          "Not that fast!" I cried, holding on to my seatbelt for dear life.

          "Why? Fast is sexy."

          "Vehicular manslaughter is not sexy!"

          "Everything is sexy when I'm the one doing it."

          "Yeah, and when I kill you, I'm sure you'll set a new standard for corpses everywhere."

          There was something suspicious about the gleam in her eyes, but I didn't have time to think about it. In four minutes and forty-nine seconds, we had arrived in front of Aaron's house.