Chapter 1: The beginning

Authors Note~ THE SECOND BOOK TO THIS IS OUT! IM WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW! SO ONCE YOU FINISH THIS STORY GO ON OVER AND READ THE SEQUEL! THANKS EVERYONE WHO READS STILL CANT BELIEVE THIS GOT OVER A THOUSAND READS!! BLOWS MY MIND! LOVE YOU ALL! ALSO SORRY FOR HOW THE FIRST COUPLE OF CHAPTERS ARE WRITTEN THAT CHANGES IN THE LATER ONES!!!

"Lydia!! Hurry you're going to be late for your first day of school!!" My mom yelled to me from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back to her. I looked in the mirror one last time making sure I looked exceptional for the first day back. Even though this isn't a freaking fashion show, I still needed to look semi-okay.

"You look pretty today" a voice said from behind me. I turned my head seeing James(blonde blue eyed boy) sitting on my bed throwing a ball into the air and catching it.

James was my ghost friend that everyone plainly said was an imaginary friend and that it's just a faze but my mom and my grandma knew better.

They could also see ghost and they always told me to embrace my gift. Well, considering I'm only 10 I leave the ghost stuff to them.

"I'm just seeing you off on your first day back to school since ya know now I won't be able to see you until you get back from school" James said frowning.

"James you know you can come to school with me it's not like you're stuck in this house" I said smiling and turning back toward the mirror fixing my shirt.

"I know I know, it's just the last time I was with you and your friends they made fun of you and I don't want that happening again" He said in a low tone of voice almost as if it was all his fault.

"James you shouldn't blame yourself for that, they were just messing around anyways" I said walking over to him.

He looked up at me and smiled. "You're right we shouldn't dwell on the past"

I smiled "exactly! Okay now I gotta get going before my mom kills me"

James chuckled "okay I'll cya later"

I grabbed my back pack my lunch and ran out to the car where my mother was waiting for me.

"Goodness took you long enough" my mom said starting the car.

"Sorry I was talking with James"

my mother looked at me "you should really get him to move into the light with his family" I looked down at my fingers and played with them.

"I know it's just he's my only true friend and I don't want him to leave" I said quietly to myself.

X X X

We arrived at school and I hopped out of the car. "Now remember first day back make a good impression" my mom yelled to me as I ran up the steps to the door.

"I know I know" I yelled back to her.

As I came to my locker I could see all my friends in a group talking. "Hey guys" I said to them.

"Oh hey freak" one of the girls said. I turned and looked at her "what?" I said confused.

"I said hey freak what are you deaf now as well?" She said in a rude way.

"I'm sorry did I miss the memo or something? Is this pick on Lydia day or something?" I said.

"Sorry we just don't like to associate ourselves with freaks who act like they're 5 years old and have imaginary friends" The girl said walking away with all my "friends." I could feel my heart fall into my stomach and my eyes beginning to get watery.

I ran to the bathroom across the hall and slammed the locker shut. I cried and cried and cried till someone came into the bathroom.

"Are you alright in there" a voice called out. "Yeah I'm okay.." I lied.

I opened the door about 5-10 minutes later. A girl with long red hair stood there and smiled at me "Hi I'm Kayleen" she said with a sweet innocent smile on her face.

"Im Lydia" I said back to her wiping my eyes.

"Why were you crying?" She asked in a concerned voice. "It's nothing just a couple of girls being mean" I said grabbing paper cloth to dry my eyes with.

"You sure?" Kayleen asked. I nodded "Thanks"

She smiled and nodded "c'mon let's get to class" she said grabbing my hand.

X X X

Once school ended I grabbed all my things and quickly ran outside to find my mom. "Hey honey how was your first day?" She asked with a smile.

"Fine, can we just go home." I said impatiently. "Sure, do you wanna stop and get some ice cream first?" I shook my head

"No, I just wanna get home now!" I said loudly. She leaned her head back in surprise. I've never yelled at mom like this before.

"What's the matter?" She asked "nothing just a couple of girls making fun of me for my "imaginary friend" James" I said in an irritated voice.

"Oh, well don't worry about it anymore they won't make fun of you about James ever again" she said. I looked at her and turned my head side ways a little. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"James is um.... Well it was his time Lydia. He needed to cross over." My eyes widened. "You didn't..."

"Honey will talk more when we get home" I turned my head and stared out the window thinking trying to hold back my tears. James... He.... He's.... Gone....

X X X

I jumped out of the car and ran into the house yelling "James James James!!!" But there was no response. "Mom!!! Why!?" I screamed as tears streamed down my face.

"Honey he needed to be with his family. It was his moms last wish before going into the light. She wanted me to help him cross over. I needed to Lydia you need to understand." She said grabbing ahold of my hand.

"No, I don't understand and I never will... You're dead to me" I said running upstairs.

X X X
(8 Years Later)
I looked in the mirror one last time that laid across my wall for years. I turned and looked at the bed where James sat that last day I saw him. Boxes where all around my room packed with all my clothes and things.

"Honey Kayleen and Andrew are here it's time to go" Kayleen and Andrew were my best friends throughout middle school and high school. We planned on moving to LA together so that's what we are doing.

And I thought things in high school were interesting and difficult. Pfft I had another thing coming. This... This is my story... This is just the beginning....