I

— 001—

What's wrong with not being able to see colors?

Every time she transfers to another school after another, things will be rough as always. She didn't do anything bad to anyone she encountered, yet they started to torment her, feeling like she was a mistake that only incarnated as one of them. Kioko Umi was born color blind. It is a worse case where she can only see monochrome colors.

She has no chances to see all the colors, especially shades of blue. The name of said color sounded beautiful to her. She wondered how beautiful the color blue is. Whenever Umi was on her way to her home, she stopped at the bay for a while. The waves roll in, each of them as strong and bold as the last. They come without fear of the beach, embracing their destiny upon the sand. Removing her shoes, Umi walked towards her until the water soaked her bare feet, her shoes dangling in her right hand. Umi gazed downward at the water, she locked her eyes on the horizon, felt the coldness, heard the susurrus of waves, and tasted brine as much as smelled it.

If I try to lay down myself here, will the waves take me somewhere where I can finally see the colors?

What a ridiculous way of thinking. She was so tired of everything, wanting to stop the suffering. Everyone is accusing her as a curse because she couldn't see colors. Umi always wishes to die already, yet something is stopping her.

"Take me there." As soon she mumbled the words, someone grabbed her feet way down to the depths of the ocean. She just jinxed herself. Umi doesn't know how to swim which is completely worse. Her body was being pulled faster and the panic had her heart hammering against her ribs. She narrowed her eyes to see whoever was grabbing her and trying to drown her. They are not human at all, judging by their distorted figures.

Cursed spirits.

My one of a kind.

There were three of them. She tried to let go of their grip but failed miserably. Her legs are already exhausted and struggling to bring herself back toward the surface. It's getting dark and the pressure is getting heavier as soon she can no longer see the light. There's no way out to escape these cursed spirits who were pulling her down. Umi was about to close her eyes and ready to open her mouth, accepting her inevitable fate right here and now. However, there's a sudden energy that attacks the cursed spirits and effortlessly exorcizes them .

Upon witnessing that, Umi was certainly sure someone was there to save her. She couldn't hold her breath any longer as she needed to go back to the surface before she completely drowns. As she broke the surface and finally could catch her breath, someone was standing right in front of her.

"Are you okay?"

It was the voice of a young man– very soothing and calm. She gazed up at the man as his appearance glowed by the moonlight. He was wearing a uniform with a pair of dark sunglasses. Umi stared at him for a moment as he gave her a warm smile, extending his arm for her to get up.

"Lucky you that I happened to walk by the bay when I sensed the cursed spirits here." He told her, sounding like he is bragging about his power or whatever he did to the cursed spirits. She received his offer and stood the same ground as him. Now, the problem right now is about her clothes being drenched. Umi covered her chest with her arms and sighed in disbelief, glancing at the young man who's just about to walk away from her.

"Who are you?" She asked, making the young man stop and cleared his throat before introducing himself.

"Gojo Satoru." He introduced himself to her with a wide grin.

"Kioko Umi."

After they exchanged their introduction, Satoru ruffled his hair and averted his eyes on her, removing his jacket to offer this to her.