IV

—p a g e 004—

Misako and Yu went on a mission together while Kento and Umi left in the classroom.

Umi was torn between liking being with him briefly or not. It sucks! She grumbled in frustration and buried her face on the table, rambling such words while Kento was leaning back against the chair with his eyes closed.

Initially, they could just go to a mission altogether as 1st-year students, but as their teacher suggested, two of the four would go to the mission instead. Kento and Umi liked the initial idea team, all of them on a mission, but Yu and Misako decided to choose the latter suggestion. They insisted on saying the least which Kento and Umi tolerated. I regretted tolerating those two.

To make things fair, Misako told them they could just play Jan Ken Pon and whoever wins will go to the mission and otherwise, will stay. And here she is with Kento in the classroom, doing nothing. Now, it felt like Haibara and Nakano settled everything up for us to be alone together.

"Shit," Umi muttered a curse under her breath, still feeling annoyed being stuck here on the campus. Of course, not him. He did nothing wrong at all. “How about we walk around to kill time?” She suggested to him, breaking the silence between them.

“Sounds good to me, then,” Kento responded dryly.

As they walked out of the classroom, they walked past the room where their seniors were and were being scolded by Masamichi again. She shrugged her shoulders and ignored the conversation while walking together with Kento quietly. As they walked side by side and passed the vending machine, he paused and turned to the vending machine, selecting drinks.

Umi noticed the pause and looked over at him, her gaze lingering on the vending machine before she turned her head back to the view ahead. She stared in wonder at the sight of their school, the beautiful gardens, and the torii gates in the distance. A deep sigh escaped from her mouth as she took a seat at the nearby stairs and continued to gaze at the view, stomping her feet and hoping they could get another mission right now.

Her manifestation was granted when their teacher, Masamichi, called their names out and clapped his hands, getting the attention of the two students left.

"Mission for both of you." He announced. Upon hearing that personally made her eyes twinkle and smiled, which reached her ears.

"Yes, finally!" She couldn't help but comment bluntly. She didn't want to rot here in the classroom. Umi stood up and walked towards their teacher to listen to the mission given to them.

Umi gave herself a bitter laugh as, surprisingly, remembering the part of her memory where she was alone with Kento on their mission. All because Yu didn't show up that time, she became reckless with her ideas and he was, surely, mad at her.

"Don't be reckless again in this mission." He patted her head. He did remember that as well. She didn't give him a response as she swatted his hand off from her and clicked her tongue, telling herself that won't happen again.

Time to go!

The location is on Koenji wherein there are some reports that their belongings went missing and people were found dead in front of somebody's house. It was cruel, as usual, to hear these kinds of reports. It has become a routine for them to hear this kind of news, doesn't it?  Umi blew out her cheeks and looked through the window of the car, waiting patiently for the car to arrive at their destination.