chapter 7 Aftershock

chapter 7

Back in Varamath Volondove was confused and horrified by the recent turn of events. First a mass grave yard in the Celemorian dessert and now his property being swamped by wood elves? The fact that the demons were already on the loose in Celemore was bad enough of news, let alone the death of one of the staff bearers. What happened in Varamath while he was away that could top this?

"Im afraid that our worst fears have been realized." Lamir began. "The barrier between worlds has broken. The demons have returned. And what's worse, they have already begun their conquest of Lamenreal." He said with a horrified expression.

"I am aware of the demons return." Volondove replied boldly. Lamir stared at him in horror as he heard this.

"What? You know?" He asked in shock.

"That is partially why I returned home. I wanted to warn you of the demons return. They are on the move in Celemore as we speak." Volondove explained. "They have already attacked the border lands of the shadow glades earlier today. But fortunately I arrived just after the battle had ended. So I was never in direct conflict with them. But I saw many demons and mortals alike slain upon the battlefield, the demons alone mounted up to thousands, possibly tens of thousands."

"What!?" Lamir said with horror. He was very concerned about the sudden attack on the night elves. Not just the demons sweeping through the land at record speeds, but the fact that Volondove already had an encounter with the satanic abominations before he could reach his full potential was a terrible thought for the ancient wizard. He was relieved slightly to find that Volondove arrived after the battles end. But if a demon lord was on the rampage in Celemore, then which demon lord was leading them?

"The demons have struck Varamath and Celemore?" Lamir asked in shock. "Then that means there are two demon lords on the loose already! This is all happening too quickly. Much faster than any of us had expected."

"Wait a minute." Volondove interrupted. The sound of two demon lords caught his curiosity like a rabbit in a snare. "What exactly do you mean by two demon lords are on the loose? Is there another one here? How do you know there is even one here? You sure it's not just a warband? Were you attacked? Tell me what happened here while I was away. Everything!" He said urgently.

"No, I wasn't attacked, yet." Lamir replied.
"But I am certain that there is a demon lord here in Varamath. You see... Uhh..." Lamir stumbled as he thought of an analogy that Volondove could comprehend. "The best way I can explain them is like a circus." Lamir said suddenly.
"Where the troop goes the ring master is not far behind. Demons need a leader. Without someone eto call the shots they will fall apart into total anarchy. So If what you say is true, that there were quite on quote, thousands of demons slain in Celemore, then there must be a demon lord leading them there. The real question is, which one."

"So there is a demon lord in Varamath and Celemore?" Volondove asked. "Do you know which demon lord is here in Varamath? Or if it even is a demon?"

"I am afraid not." Lamir replied. "I have yet to see any demon lord in person while you were gone. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any demon in general for that matter."

"well thank goodness for that I guess." Volondove said trying to stay optimistic. "But then how do you know that the demons are here in Varamath?" Volondove asked.

"There is no race on the face of the planet that could sweep across the land at the speed at which has happened here. This can only be the work of the demons. I bet my life on it." Lamir explained with confidence.

"Ok, so the demons are here in Varamath, but what have they done here? Have they attacked anyone yet? And if so, who all was attacked? Have the human and elven nations been warned of the new threat? Do they know what is happening? Are they preparing to face them before it's too late? Tell me what happened while I was away."