The Silence

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗶𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲
(Date of creation: 4th of September, 2020)

................

I have a childhood friend named Erika. Lots of children bullied her back then, but she's beautiful and kind. The problem is, she's on mute.

As the time passes the silent duckling grew to become a lovely swan. Even though she can't talk, she's very intelligent. She helps me with my studies.

Sign languages, blablablabla. I'm getting tired of this.

When college came, we've been together. But as time passes, the silence is killing me.

"Let's.. get.. over.. it!" I said, signing her to end our friendship.

She's just standing there in the middle of the street.

Looking at me..

"End, ok? End." I said and turned around. I shooked my head, and walked away.

"I love you-" I heard a woman said. An angelic silent voice covered the cricket sounds.

I stopped walking and look afar, waiting for another word.

"I've been going to a therapist to surprise you on our graduation, just to tell you that I love you!"

Now she's screaming. I felt pain. It's all coming back that I love her.

I turned around, ran and hugged her, as the unexpected tears came falling to meet the ground.

"WHY DO YOU FUCKING WANNA GIVE UP ON ME, YOU STUPID JERK!" Her voice-her lovely voice stroke right on my chest.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" As I cry with her, mumbled sounds are all around.

"I just can't bear it with the silence. It's killing me!" I continued, waiting for her reply.

"ZEED! I LOOWWHHAW-"

Her words cutted. I looked at her. Bloods are coming out of her mouth. I don't know what to do. Everything is too fast.

I lifted her up, and ran to the nearest hospital.

.............

"Mr. Bernardo is it?" The doctor started while she's sleeping.

"I'm his therapist. The therapy isn't complete enough, and she isn't allowed to talk.."

The doctor continued. I looked at the ground.

"Of course, screaming and shouting would be very dangerous for her..."

Tears once again flowed down my face.

"She will live, but I'm sorry to say, she will lost her ability to talk, forever." She said.

"You really mean forever?!" I asked. The doctor nodded and left me. I sat at the bench, and sudden thoughts broke me down.

If I only waited. I'm a fucking jerk! I hugged her as she get up her bed...

"I'm sorry...." Tears flowed down my face as I talk, and she hugged me back.

She signed me with. (I forgive you. Don't leave me again. Fuck you.)

I hugged her again. If only I could've bear..

...𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞.

-𝘈𝘬𝘶𝘮𝘢 𝘌𝘵𝘴𝘶𝘬𝘰