Chapter 1- Evicted

Caroline Jacobs was scared. Out of nowhere, a man had shown up at their house and told her parents that they had to get out. Her mother told her to pack up all of her things and that they were going to live with her Auntie and Uncle. Caroline didn't want to leave, but they had to. Now, they were approaching the door to their new home. Her Uncle opened the door and Davey ran out.

"Hi Caroline! Why do you have a trunk?" Caroline normally loved seeing her cousins, but right now, she couldn't stop feeling scared.

"We had to leave our house. Mama said we're going to live with you now." she said sadly.

"Why did you have to leave?" Davey asked. 

"Mama said that they couldn't pay for our house after Father lost his job." 

"Oh." Davey looked a bit more serious. "Well, I'm glad you get to live with us." Caroline followed Davey inside, dragging her trunk behind her. 

Three weeks later, her Father got sick. A doctor came and said it was influenza. They couldn't afford medicine, and he died five days later. They also couldn't afford a funeral, so Caroline, her Mama, Auntie, Uncle, Davey and Les all watched as her Father was buried. So much had changed in so little time, and Caroline didn't think she'd ever get over it.