0.07 : Dark

James POV:

                "Damn, two in a day?  Must be busy."  a male grunted in response.  I heard a few shuffles around the room and then a warm hand was on my face.  "What are yo-" I started but stopped when they began to touch my facial features.  They were using their hands to see what I looked like.

                He brushed my nose, beard, lips and hair.  The hands suddenly left their search.  "He got a beard, large nose and curly hair."  I scoffed.  Who the hell did he think he was?  "Who are you?"  someone else called out.

                "James."  I replied.  "Who are you?"  I asked.  "I'm Henry,  Then ya got Mak, John, Sade and Marissa."  he replied.  "There's another but they won't talk.  Just got in like you."  "Why are we here?"  I questioned.

                A laugh erupted from the room, then two.  I didn't see what was so funny.  "Assholes..."  I muttered under my breath.  The laughing stopped.  "Listen new guy, your gonna be in here until they decide what to do wth ya, but until then your stuck with us so you may wanna play nice."

                I mulled over that.  Do with me?  Whatever was going to happen when they came for me didn't sound good so enemies might not be my best option.  "Fine."  I finnaly muttered more so to myself than to them.

                Silence.  I decided to continue my questioning.  "So, why are we here?"  I asked them again.  A female spoke to me this time.  "Because the men out their feel theatened by us.  They keep us in here like animals until a decision is made on what to do."  she said with anger evident in her voice.

                I said nothing for a minute.  Just then the door opened up causing me to squint.  I was able to catch a glimpse of the six dirty figures and the room before a tall male blocked the light in the doorway.  The room was so small, I saw that Marissa was only two feet away from me.

                The four males sat together against the wall across from me.  Then there was a black haired girl sitting in the corner next to them.  Her head rested on her knee's.  Marissa had dirty blonde hair and blue eye's.  Her face as well as the others were covered in dirt.

                "John Keen's.  Step out with me please."  the man boomed out making me wince.  John stood and walked over to the doorway and paused.  The man sighed and grabbed his collar and pulled him out of the room, slamming the door shut again.

                All you could hear was everyone's breathing.  Noone dared to speak.  It was Marissa who spoke again.

                "John was a funny guy and a great listener.  Let us hope that we will meet again."  she said quietly.  "Do you say that everytime?"  I asked.

                "Yeah.  It's like our own version of a funeral.  Everyone should be remembered."  Mak stated.  "I have one more question.  Why are you all so dirty?"  I asked rubbing my leg."

                Marissa laughed.  "They make us run in the damn desert where dust coats everything."

                The desert?  That means that this place is all the way out in the Colorado desert.  I knew where we were.  I smiled in the dark.  I had something to go off of.  The door opened again a few hours later, or so thats what it felt like.

                "Time to go run."  A male said from the doorway.  We all stood and walked into the bright hallway.  Everyone started following him.  A hand flew to my shoulder making me stop.

                "Not today man, you got to get your uniform on."  he said making me turn around and go down the other way.  As we went, I remembered every turn and sighn.  If given a chance, I would make a break for it.

                We eventually reached a door and the guy opened it.  Shelves of brown clothes with patches saying "Holding Guest" with the picture of a symbol behind it.  The symbol looked strange and alien-like.  This was what the others had been wearing.

                He asked me for my sizes and I gave them.  He picked my clothes from the shelves and handed them to me.  We then walked back to the room where I had been in before.

                "Change and holler when your done.  I'll be out here."  he said not looking at me.  I went in and changed.  The clothes felt as though they were made of a rough canvas and made my skin itch.  I sucked in my breath when I pulled my shirt on too roughly.

                The wound still burned like hell.  When I was done, I banged on the door and handed him my clothes.  He nodded at me and shut me in the dark room alone.

                I sat down in a corner and waited for their return.