Prologue

18 years ago . . .

A woman was quietly humming a lullaby; from her looks, I couldn't make out who she was, but from her features, I could tell one thing; she was a beautiful woman.

She cradled me in warmth and light like a mother would do with her child, and I felt safe in her arms, a feeling of nostalgia that I couldn't pinpoint.

The lullaby she hummed somewhere sounded familiar in the back of my mind, just like the woman looked familiar, but I couldn't remember what and who they are; everything felt blurry when I tried to concentrate, so instead, I just tried to listen to the soft melody of the lullaby, which made me feel calm and serene.

At that moment, a long lost feeling nestled inside my chest, the warmth of safety and love. Inside her arms, I felt like the time had stopped, which I wouldn't mind because she gave me the feeling a mother would.

A feeling I had never felt because my mother died giving birth to me or that was what was being told to me; after all, I was too young to remember anything.

Out of nothing, the warmth around me deepened and kept deepening until it spread out through the whole room and started to get hotter until it hurt.

Immediately my eyes snapped open.

Wherever I looked, there were flames; from every corner, I was surrounded, and the woman was no longer humming; instead, she was screaming.

Blood gushed fast and not ending from a wound on her head, and she was reaching out for me.

"Please, Zhan, you must live... You have to!" Her voice was soft but firm, and I saw how lifeless she fell on her knees; I wanted to help her, no matter what.

I tried to stretch my hand out to her, but at that moment, I realized; I couldn't move at all; I internally panicked when I saw the flames going closer to her.

The only thing I could do was watch the flames rising higher and higher until it touched the ceiling, dancing there with the shadow of the night, and at that moment, I heard the woman screaming; for the last time.

And I saw how the flames crawled up her clothes, moving rhythmically up to her sleeves until her scream was soundless, her deep eyes burning into mine before she opened her mouth for the last time, but nothing came out except a silent scream.

Word count: 422 words