Chapter 1

Blackness slowly faded to white as Tauriel awoke from her slumber. The warm air of a new spring flooded through the windows that she left ajar during the night. Her hands grasped the vlevety sheets that came up to her chest, and she pulled them over her knees. She had slept well that night. There were no nightmares that kept her stirring.

She slipped out of her lace nightgown and pulled on her tunic. It was a deep green with sandy-brown detailing at the seams. Her red hair contrasted beautifully with the color of the shirt, and brought out her emerald eyes. Her mother had made these tunics for her before she had died a tragic death. Tauriels throat started to tighten as she hugged another shirt that was displayed on her bed. She quickly pushed the thought away.

Breakfast was being served in the Grand Hall that day. Legolas, her best friend, and also the prince of Mirkwood would be down there. Tauriel reached for her bow and arrow that hung on a hook above the headboard of her bed. It was made from the oak trees that grew in the forest. Oh how Tauriel loved the forest. It was the only place where she could completely empty her mind and forget about her troubles completely. It was where she was taught to fight and become the strong woman she was meant to be.

She stepped into her brown leather boots (matching her tunic) and walked at a brisk pace down to the Grand Hall. The air smelled of fresh berries and bread. The mosaic floor where the colors of scarlet and ivory. The colors that, together, reminded Tauriel of love and friendship. The walls were a beautiful brownish-cream color that gave the room a warm tint.

Her eyes scanned the hall as she searched for a place to sit and have a relaxing conversation with her friends. After a good while she spotted a familiar slender figure at a table across the hall. He had lond blonde hair and it was tied into fishtail braids at the back. Legolas? she wondered. The elf turned around to glance across the hall at the table next to his. It is him. She beckoned for the prince to have a seat, and he slowly aproached her.

"Gi suilad mellon-nin." The words rolled off his lips like fresh molasses in a new autumn.

"Greetings to you as well," Tauriel replied in the common tongue. Tauriel stole a glance at the silver tunic that he wore (much like his father's). She had to admit, he looked rather handsome that day. Normally he wore a similar brownish-green tunic every day (it got boring after a while). His pale hands reached for a silver spoon, and he placed it in his soup bowl. Wine, beef stew and bread was served to them moments later. This was a tradition for breakfast in the Grand Hall.

Steam from the creamy stew grazed Tauriel's face as she delicately placed her lips on the silver spoon. Rich and warm flavors spread across her tongue. "This meal is quite lovely," she told the waitress. The brown-haired she-elf nodded her braided head in thanks and left without a word.

Legolas transitioned his gaze from his breakfast and up to Tauriel. Her eyes were mostly glowing and content. Good. Too often did she worry about what others thought of her. Too often did she push herself over the limit to show how great of a warrior she really was. It didn't help that the king had such high expectations. Legolas often felt sorry for Tauriel. In fact, he felt sorry for a lot of Silvan Elves. They had so much potential, but many people were to blind to see it.

"Are you ready for hunting today?" Tauriel asked casually.

Legolas broke away from his thoughts. "Of course. Border patrol as well right?"

Tauriel nodded her head. Border patrol was always her least favorite task. Besides making wine. It was the same thing every time. Set traps for prey, hunt prey, slay orcs and sit silently at the edge of the forest. That crazy wizard, Radagast, was always roaming around with is stupid rabbits making a comotion. But that was not the worst part. Dol Guldur sat just outside of Mirkwood. People say that a dark power, a power not heard of for three thousand years, dwells there. But how could that be possible? Such things have not been heard of for an age.