Chapter 4: Hideout

27 cards, $585.72, and 4 hours later...

We came out of the last store on the block and started to walk back to our 'Hideout'. In real life, it was a part of the woods that had a circle of climbable trees and a lot of space in the middle. 4 years ago, our parents helped us to build a house that sat on the far side of the circle, just enough so others have to look around a couple of times before they see it. As we got older, we started to renovate it. First with boxes and tape, then again with actual wood and tools. We all decided to take a woodworking class to do that one.

As we walked to the hideout and chatted, we passed by my house. "Hey, I'm going to get the thing I told you about earlier. Be right back." They both gave a head nod of understanding and I went inside.

I walked into the house, the first and second floor seeming empty. I walked into my room to see Ruby staring dead at me on my bed. I did not remember putting her there. I grab her anyways, thinking that mom may have put her there after I was gone.

As I walked outside, I got the tail end of an argument between Issac and Carmen.

"I'm just saying, you should share the spotlight everyone once in a while CC, besides, it's not like I went past you completely."

"But you were getting close!"

"Well, it's not my fault you never went to an arcade last summer."

"I was at a sleepaway camp! The nearest arcade was 27 miles away!"

"Am I supposed to care?"

"Yes, that wasn't the rules we established!"

"Once again, am I supposed to care? We made those rules about 2 or 3 years ago. We were young, we didn't care. Now we do since we're having this conversation. Which would be better if you stopped screaming."

Or, at least it was the tail end. As much as I wanted to watch this all godown (And cheer on Issac cause he became a baddie after that last part), I had to tell them to save it till we were by ourselves.

When we finally got to our Hideout, Carmen pulled out the keys and unlocked the door.

The 4 rooms (Yes, there were 4) were filled with posters, beanbag chairs, pillows, a cooler full of snacks, a gaming console, and some more things that we do for hobbies.

We sat on some of the beanbag chairs and pulled up our bags of snacks and toys that we got from the arcade. I pulled out Ruby and stood her up beside me. "This is Ruby everyone. She is my mother's solution for being an introvert I guess." "Ah yes, the perfect way to help your child talk to people. Make them talk to an inanimate object." Issac said with a fancy voice. We all burst out laughing at our additions to the joke. "Hello, Mr.Chair! Are you going to help me with my social anxiety?" "Why is my child so used to talking to the oven? Definitely not because I put googly eyes on it to help my child talk to people!"

After laughing for a long while, we got back to talking about Ruby. We all agreed that she was too realistic to be from such a cheap company.

So we decided to look deeper in.

I hope we don't regret this...