Just Dip Me (J)

Joe heard the tinkling piano music before they'd even opened the door to the studio, and he had a little thrill run down his spine as he heard Dianne let out a loud huff in his ear as she fumbled with her bag of old dance shoes she'd found at her parent's house.

He glanced to his right, hiding a smile as he took in her disgruntled expression, a lock of red hair falling across her face as she slightly stumbled over the raised doorway. Out of instinct, Joe reached out to grab her waist and pull her back upward, his breath momentarily catching in his throat as she turned to gaze up at him.

She'd been doing that lately. Staring at him in a way that made his heart race and his mouth dry up. He wasn't quite sure why she was affecting him this way - none of his other clients ever had. He internally cringed, hating how calling her his "client" sounded - though he wasn't quite sure how else to describe her. She was quickly becoming a lot more than a client and it was making him unsteady.

"Thanks," Dianne mumbled, and by the way she leaned against him, though brief, he wondered again if maybe she was feeling the same way.

"Can't lose my teacher before we even get started," Joe quipped, trying to return back to the safe friendship they'd been establishing. He was leaving in less than three days. And she was paying him to be here. The desire to cross that boundary, though growing with every passing hour, was wholly inappropriate.

"If you keep stepping on my foot like earlier, I'll be forced to retire early," Dianne shot back, a sarcastic smile on her face and he couldn't help but laugh out loud.

Before they'd arrived, Joe had dragged Dianne outside to give him a crash course in ballroom dancing. Dianne's death glare every time he mistakenly stepped on her feet throughout the tutorial should have scared him, but for some reason just made him want to irritate her more. He enjoyed their banter when she was feeling feisty...which he was learning was pretty much all the time.

"Okay but for real," Dianne muttered under her breath as they approached the studio, "Why did you agree to doing this? I already have to spend all night with her..."

Joe shrugged, still a little unsure himself. All he knew was that he wasn't going to let an opportunity to dance with Dianne disappear...and maybe if he focused on dancing he'd be less tempted to kiss her.

Jesus.

"You hired me to help you get through this week, right?" he finally asked, as they slowed to a stop outside the door, reverting to the inner professional he knew he had to be.

Dianne nodded, though he noticed a small flash of something in her honey colored eyes before she blinked up at him.

"So, remember when I said making the bride happy is a top priority," he quirked an eyebrow. "It sucks, but it must be done. It helps keep the peace."

Dianne sighed, scrunching up her nose in a way he found adorable.

"Alright fine," she sighed again, extra dramatically. "I hate that you're always right."

Joe pushed open the door, just a simple smirk as his response.

"Oh my GOD," Penny's customary greeting echoed through the empty studio. "I'm so glad you're here. Leo doesn't remember ANY of the routine."

Joe bit his lip to hold back a laugh at the sight in front of him. Penny, her perfectly coiffed blonde hair swept up into a high bun, a pair of leg warmers, and sky high ballroom heels was the picture perfect ballroom dancer - while Leo stood in a pair of trainers and jeans behind her, looking quite unenthusiastic.

He watched Dianne screw on a somewhat fake smile as she dropped her bag and began to put her shoes on, before he turned toward Leo.

"Hey mate," Joe grinned toward the man who was looking pale and sweaty.