CHAPTER 1 - Truths Disguised

He was strong. Tall, powerful. Dressed in the finest of clothes, the emblem of his house on his chest. He walked as if the world belonged to him, head high, shoulders squared, boots pounding on the ground as he strode. Even with all that, he was nothing compared to his shadow. The man who walked behind him, dark skinned, his bald head reflecting the light, his muscles almost ripping his clothes. His weapon, the one across his back, was almost as tall as he was. He didn’t go anywhere without it, and the king went nowhere without his personal guard, protector, human shield.

No one knew where the man came from, or how he became the king’s right-hand. He never spoke, never moved unless the king did, or to crush whomever threatened his liege.
His eyes were sharp, always on alert even if it didn’t seem like he was looking around. He scanned a room the moment they walked into it. His eyes were a bright green, an opposite to the king’s dark brown eyes, almost black, only showing their true shade under the light of the sun. The king was handsome. One of the strongest men alive. Hair a dark brown shade that almost matched his eyes. He had a scar across his left eyebrow, from a battle many years past, against his brother who ruled a neighboring kingdom. A battle that even though so many years had gone by, was still fought.

He walked into the war room, where most his advisors awaited his arrival. His voice powerful yet calm as he asked, “What is the latest?”

“Our spy has infiltrated.” The eldest of the men surrounding the battle plans said, “He sent a raven. The castle is vulnerable with the queen having just given birth to an heir. The king had directed many of his petrol to the infant’s protection.”

“Does he expect me to kill a child?” The king wondered aloud, tisking before he said, “Tell Diederik to prepare for a visit.”

“My king, I advise against it.” The man spoke again, “We are still at war.”

“He is my brother.”

“A traitor.” The man insisted, “He’d slit your throat without hesitation.”

“It is protocol to congratulate him on his new born. Perhaps talk him into laying down his arms.” The king spoke.
“A letter then. Or a messenger.” The man said.

“Axel, will you accompany me?” The king asked the man who never spoke. The man’s eyes merely moved to the king’s face, which made the king smirk, his hand hitting the man’s chest who was standing a bit behind him, as he said, “See, Axel will not leave my side.” He said, his previous question moot as everyone knew the answer. The king went nowhere without his most trusted knight.

“My king, that is not-…”

“Axel, will you allow my brother to slit my throat?” The king asked, making the advisor seem angered at being ignored and mocked. The king turned to Axel, a smile on his face as he said, “Of course you wouldn’t. Now, leave.” He said, glancing over his shoulder with a heated glare directed at the man who seemed to be fuming. “I will call on you if your council is needed again.”

The king sighed when they left, letting his shoulders drop as he looked over the maps, the small figures around, one representing his house, and the other his brother’s, when he opted to take a different one, to start a new family in the kingdom next to his after he’d butchered his father.

The king leaned on the table, both hands flat against it as he said, “I wish Andries would just give up.” Axel cleared his throat, making the king turn to him with a weak smile as he said, “Really?” Axel gave him a deadpanned look, making him say, “Oh come on, Baldwin gets angry fast, it is not my fault.”

“I don’t think you should go either.” Axel said, crossing his arms over his chest, voice so rough, it would scare anyone who didn’t know him away. But the king was used to it. Ever since he’d rescued Axel from the hands of slavers, he never left his side.