Part 39 - Amélie strikes back

A/N: And this my dear readers is (as I hope) the last chapter before I put in the Valentine's special. But, as it already is the third chapter I started with this title, before changing it because I had already more than 3000 words and wasn't yet halfway there, we'll see.

Over the next week, there were more people acting like those, they met on their way back from the doctor's appointment. But not only Nathalie was treated like that, the teenagers both had to face the same odd behaviour.

"What on earth is wrong with them?", Marinette asked furiously as she and Adrien entered the bakery for lunch.

"What are you talking about, sweetie?", Sabine asked calmly.

"Just a bunch of people acting as if Adrien and I were the fucking Antichrist!", the young woman shouted out in frustration.

"Language", Tom said sternly, as he walked in from the back.

"Sorry, Dad, but you should've seen them. Going all catholic, crossing themselves the moment they see us. Same happened to Nathalie on Monday. She is afraid, that it is some kind of payback from Adrien's aunt, yet we haven't figured out the reason for it yet. It cannot just be because of Adrien's mum's death and Gabriel being with Nathalie now. There must be something else.", Marinette drifted off with her thoughts, while Adrien looked apologetically at her parents.

"I am so sorry. Nobody would have thought, that being my girlfriend would get her into so much trouble. If I had known before..."

"...then what? Marinette had heard him despite being deep in thoughts. "Would you have broken up with me? Or never even tried? You...."

She turned around and ran up the stairs and then climbed the ladder to her room, throwing the hatch door shut with a loud thud.

Adrien took a deep breath.

"I'll go talk to her", he sighed as he slowly followed is girlfriend upstairs. Tom and Sabine gazed at each other. They looked concerned.

"What's going on there?", asked Tom.

Sabine shrugged. "If only I knew."

When the young man entered Marinette's room, he couldn't see her anywhere. Climbing up to her bed, to have a look on her balcony above, he suddenly noticed a movement under her duvet. He shook his head. The girl had hidden herself in a tiny corner and placed the blanket over herself that it looked like nothing was underneath.

He crouched down beside her and tugged at the soft fabric.

"M'lady? I wasn't going to break up with you. And I still would do everything just the same. I love you, Marinette! And nothing in the world can change that. The only thing I would change if I was able to, would be that I kept our relationship a secret as long as possible. Not because I wouldn't want to be seen with you in public, but to keep a little bit of privacy for as long as we could. Now please, Purrincess, come out of there!", he finished his long talk with a begging voice.

"I don't want to!", Marinette lamented out of her hideout, her voice muffled from the duvet over her face.

"Bugaboo, please don't make me beg. I can't be without you anymore, I need you so much. You're my one and only love. And I just want to hold you in my arms right now. Pretty please?"

Adrien could hear a sigh coming from the young woman. Then he saw a bit of her dark, shiny hair and a moment later Marinette's face appeared in front of him.

Her eyes puffy, her cheeks red and her hair standing in all directions, yet he still thought she was utterly beautiful.

"Did you really mean what you said?", she asked in an unbelieving tone.