9: I Could Get Used to This

Chapter 9: I Could Get Used to This

We crashed onto my sofa, piled one on top of each other. I groaned as Harry’s elbow dug into my side, probably giving me a bruise in the process. I looked up at Zayn, who had magically appeared at the shopping center whilst we were shopping. Apparently he didn’t want to be left out on the fun, so he tagged along. The more the merrier I guess.

“Do you have parents? Because I never see them,” Zayn asked, tilting his head towards me. I chuckled and adjusted my body so I could properly respond.

“Yes, I do have parents. My father is always working at his Orthodontic office and my mother likes to go out, for tea and stuff,” I huffed. I grunted as I shoved Harry onto the floor and lightly slid Louis on top of him.

“I’m getting food, do any-” I began, but a chorus of young lads thanking me for getting them food cut me off.

“You’re lucky Niall isn’t here, or you wouldn’t have any food by time we left,” Zayn laughed. The rest of the boys nodded in unison, agreeing with Zayn’s statement.

“When will I get to meet him anyway?”

“Well, I have no clue really,” Harry responded, shifting Louis’ weight onto his chest.

“What’s an orthodontist?” Liam innocently asked, with a puzzled expression on his face.

I smiled widely and galloped off into my dad’s office. I looked around for one of the old decorations he had in his office when it first opened. I picked up one box shaking out the contents, no luck. Then another, and another were emptied. I harrumphed as I collapsed into the plump office chair that was beginning to collect dust. Particles of dust flew into the air as the chair wheezed under my weight and the added pressure. I spun around a few times before noticing a large black container balancing on the top of the bookshelf. I didn’t even have to look into it; I knew it was what I was searching for.

“This is what an orthodontist does,” I stated as I dumped all of the old decorations out onto the floor in front of the four boys.

“They put braces on animals!?” Harry squealed, slightly horrified.

“No, silly. They put braces on humans, these are just the decorations my dad has around the office, for children’s entertainment and stuff. I think it’s cute.”

Zayn slowly picked up one of the plastic, unrealistic animal heads with braces. He placed it in front of his own face and started roaring, as it was a lion’s head. Louis and Liam both followed, both picking up shark’s heads. I giggled as I picked up the alligator face, but before I masked my face I glanced at Harry. He looked awfully uncomfortable, sitting there with multiple animal heads surrounding him.

“Harry, not going to join us?” Louis asked with a worried expression.

“I don’t get why you would put braces on animals, Belle,” he admitted.

“We don’t actually do that sweetie, it’s just a silly decoration my dad got to make the place more interesting and something the kids can look at. Remember? It really isn’t that scary, I promise.” While saying this I truly realized how young Harry was.

He was only 16 and he looked so precious. I thought back to the day we met and how he was so smooth and it seemed like he was the most confident man in the room. Now, however, I saw the little boy who was frightened by the fact that I had animal heads with braces on them. I closed the space between Harry and I, sitting close to him. I picked up the alligator head and held it out before him. He looked at me, glanced at the other lads and let a smile sneak out of his mouth. He grabbed the head and made an extremely loud – and unneeded – growl. We fooled around like this for what seemed like ages until someone’s stomached grumbled loud enough for us all to hear. I skidded into the kitchen, picking up the nearest phone. I was too tired to actually cook food, so I went with ordering a pizza instead.