Chapter 9 - Confessions

October 1981

October 1981

It was over. Not just the tour, but Michael's high of hope that Isabella would return. While out on the road, Michael didn't dare try calling her. But Michael did hope that once he returned to Hayvenhurst, his phone would be ringing off the hook. But it had been days he had been home and she didn't call once for him.

"What are you thinking, huh?" Nya could see in his eyes that he formulating a plan in his mind.

"A way to get to her."

"Well...she's in Texas," she smiled. "Let's go."

"Yeah right," he said.

But Nya was serious. "Listen, I don't think it's a smart move for you to be going around her father's back. You wanna hear my honest opinion?"

Michael shrugged. It wasn't a yes or a no.

"You need to be a man and talk to him. Tell him you're sorry and that you mean only the best for his daughter."

For a good ten minutes Michael couldn't take Nya seriously. He thought it was the most ridiculous idea. But as it sunk in, it made more sense. Juan didn't want his daughter dating because he thought she was too young. If Michael showed him how mature he could be, maybe Juan could see him in a different light.

Isabella was worth it. So Michael and Nya flew to Texas together.

It was nice for them. They hadn't been able to spend that much time together after their close-up with each other. But things seemed to be going back to normal. Michael could never forget it. But he was able to put it behind him for the moment.

Nya acquired Isabella's home address from Janelle. Not wanting to pry, Nya actually stayed with Janelle at her home while Michael showed up to the Marquez household alone.

Nervous, he rang the doorbell once with a shaky finger.

To his liking, Isabela's mother answered the door. Though a sweet lady, she opened the door wide-eyed and shocked. "Oh, Michael. What in the world..." She looked back then front again. "What in the world are you doing here?" she asked holding her heart with a growing smile.

"I'm sorry to stop by like this. I wanted to come by in person. I probably should've called first."

She nodded. "Well, it's okay," she gulped. "You came to see Isabella?"

Michael shook his head quickly. "Oh, no." He swallowed his panic and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I came to actually speak to you and Mr. Marquez. I think I owe you both more than an apology. But an explanation."

Inola invited Michael inside and sat him in the living room as she went to fetch Juan from upstairs. In the meantime, Michael studied the room with his eyes. Tons of family portraits and school pictures, plaques and medals. It was very cozy and homey. Not too big like Hayvenhurst-Michael felt that place lost it's homey effect years ago-and not too small like the house he grew up in on Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana.