Chapter 11 - Epiphany

June 1982

     "I need more kick and stuff in the phones.... I need 'em...more bottom and kick in the phones."

     Michael was fully submerged into the recording of his new album.  Quincy Jones, Michael's legendary producer and friend, was in the studio, Westlake Studios, revamping the perfected demo's Michael had made for him. 

     "This is some good stuff, Smelly."

     Michael giggled from the booth.  "I'm ready."

     "You sure?" Quincy asked.

     Michael nodded.  For days, weeks, months, he and his team lived in the studio.  They'd lay down some tracks, fall asleep on the floor or wherever their bodies happen to be and wake up to start all over again.  Off The Wall was a commercial success selling over 20 million records.  But when it didn't win Album of the Year, it disappointed Michael and sent his drive over the edge.  He now had a dream that he would sell at least 50 million with his new album.  Almost everyone thought he was crazy, especially the label.  But Michael didn't care.  He wanted to see this through and drove everyone crazy in the process.  Nya's pregnancy, Isabella's distance, and many other things all fell under the priority of his new album. 

     Isabella was in Los Angeles to meet CBS Discos, the Latin division of CBS Records.  Michael was told of her arrival but had forgotten being so wrapped up in his work.  Therefore, when she walked into the room, he was shocked to see her.

     "Ohhh.  What's today?"

     "The day you forget about my arrival, maybe?" she teased.

     "I'm sorry, babe," he said giggling.  He began to remove his headphones.

     But Isabella stopped him.  "No.  Don't let me interrupt."  She sat down on a loveseat behind Quincy who she met once before.

     "Maybe him seeing your pretty face will spark something deep inside him..."

     Isabella laughed.  "What's wrong?"

     Michael was working on a song written by his good friend Rod Temperton.  It was titled The Lady in My Life.

     "They'll be no darkness tonight, lady your love will shine," Michael sang.

     But it wasn't sitting well with Quincy.  "Michael?" he said interrupting his take.  "It's good.  But I need great.  I'm not feeling it."

     Michael stepped out into the control room to listen to the playback.  For only about the 100th time, Michael and Quincy was caught in between a disagreement.

     "We can make it better," said Bruce Swedien, the audio engineer of the family.  "Just try it out again."

     Michael sighed and stood up in defeat.  "I need a break."  He walked out of the room without even acknowledging Isabella. 

     Not even feeling embarrassed but worried for her boyfriend, she stood up shaking her head.  "He's putting too much pressure on himself."

     "Go try and talk to him," Quincy suggested.  It was hard getting through to Michael sometimes and Quincy needed a break from trying.

     Isabella walked out into the hallway and found Michael sitting alone in another control room.  "Hey," she said from the doorway.

     As her airy voice reached him, Michael looked at her with guilt in his eyes.  "Oh my God," he said rising from his chair.  "I'm so sorry.  You must hate me."  He took her in his arms and hugged her tight.  "I'm just under a lot of stress."