14 - The Serpent Attack

Demetrius POV

I didn't sleep well the night before the battle, I laid tense against Madeline's mattress as she hugged my arm, snoring lightly in her sleep, but I didn't close my eyes. I didn't want to think about the danger looming in the near future that created a potential obstacle to my future with Madeline.

I needed to protect her, she's the Alpha's daughter, an easy target for revenge on a selfish Alpha such as Darren.

That was why I returned, I knew she wouldn't be safe here without me to protect her. She wasn't cut out for battle, let alone defence. Calla hadn't even challenged my decision to return with the Commander after news spread of the awaiting forces from the serpent kingdom, he knew better than I did, Madeline was a kitten in a cage of lions, vulnerable and weak.

Madeline had tried to make a move during the night, bringing the mood up a little or just an attempt to bring us back to how we were just one night ago, but I refused. I didn't want to focus on anything other than her safety, if we did anything I'd be thrown off completely and that could endanger her, she wasn't too pleased with me but I think she understood my intentions last night.

But I willed myself to crawl out from her grasp in the early hours of the morning and aided Mika as she left to the training field where we would meet with the commander. It saddened me to leave Madeline unaccompanied, and unconscious as I had done so last time, but I knew she'd want to come with me and I wasn't having that.

Even now as I ran through the wooded surrounding of the Pride towards the south perimeter with the commander by my side, I couldn't stop thinking about my little mate and what she could be doing in this moment. Was she preparing for battle? Hiding? Was she still in her room? The thought of not knowing made me anxious but I had to persevere, the enemy hasn't arrived yet, I could breathe now knowing there wasn't a threat that could harm her in this moment.

When we reached the south boarder of the Pride I recognised instantly the greasy look of distaste from Darren, who held a tight grasp on Helena'a hand, who also stood tense at the boarder. They were accompanied by Mika who was dressed in a black skin suit, and two guards matching the same attire. Was this all the amour they wore? No metal or weaponry? This was foolish.

I bowed only to Helena as she stepped in front of them who responded by nodding her head.

"The warriors are ready, Sol." The commander greeted, too bowing her head in respect to her leader.

Sol was much like my own species concept of a Luna. A Luna being the mate of an Alpha, the female leader to Werewolves to be precise. Because we are reigned by the moon goddess, she gives us strength, and the female leader also provides strength to her people, she is like the goddess' physical vessel to us. Madeline was my Luna, or would be someday.

But the concept was the exact same for Werecats, they are reigned over the sun goddess, The Sol was their version of a Luna. A very powerful female. Helena was just that.

Helena nodded and let out a light sigh. "They won't get to the town's people, can you promise me that commander?" She demanded softly.

"I can swear on it."

I turned to Mika only to notice the charcoal smeared around her eyes and along the bridge of her nose, it took me off guard to notice at first, but this must be their form of battle paint. "Where is-"

"Madeline?" She finished for me, throwing me and irritated expression. "If she does what she's told for once she should be in the school auditorium locked in with the rest of the high school students."

"Good, I don't want her anywhere near the fight." I interjected, nodding curtly at Madeline's older sister.

"If everything is in order commander then I'll be taking my leave, my guards and I will be going to the nursery for the time being. Stay safe." Helena spoke, suddenly pulling her free arm out and placing it on the nape of the commander's neck, pulling her in their foreheads collided softly and they both closed their eyes. Only momentarily as if to share a message between one another no one else could decipher.