21 - The Ogre's Land

Demetrius' POV

"Did you know that the first werewolves could only shift during a full moon?" Madeline chirped beside me. We both sat in the backseat of the car, Nolan driving as we began our trip towards the Ogre's land. She'd brought one of my books with her, another one about the history of my people. It made me happy to see how excited she was learning about us, things that her own people refused to educate about. "They weren't able to control it either, so they would chain themselves up for their own safety." She added, looking up from her book to stare at me with those big eyes.

I knew it all already, as Alpha you need to know your own history, in order to avoid repeating it. This was something her father never managed to grasp.

"That's really fascinating, Lady Falkov." My commander responded, peering back at us from the rear view mirror, a large grin on his face. "I wonder what happened."

Madeline giggled beside me, looking back down at her book. I smiled to myself as I watched her, knowing she was becoming more comfortable around Nolan. I trusted Nolan to an extent around my mate, he had his own back at the pack that he'd met a few years ago, they had a small pup together. I knew Nolan wouldn't pose a risk because of this.

"It says that the wolves became too big to restraint, so the Moon Goddess allowed them to shift whenever they wanted as long as they shifted at least once per moon cycle." She read aloud.

"And what happens if we don't?" I murmured, leaning in closer to her as she flipped the pages, I could hear her heart beat quicken as I waited for her response, trying to stop herself from becoming flustered.

"It doesn't say."

I leaned back to sit up straight in my seat, it was a trick question. "He's teasing you." Nolan suddenly spoke up. "Our inner animal can't be tamed. If we refuse to shift, the shift will happen regardless when our wolf gets angry enough, they take over and we have to let them tire themselves out." He explained.

Madeline turned to look at me, as if asking for me to confirm Nolan's comments. All I did was stare at her, I didn't want her to think my inner animal could lose control at any point, as an Alpha you need the most self control over that voice inside your head, although mine had been challenging me from the moment I'd met my mate.

"You don't have to worry, Lady Falkov. If my Alpha ever lost control, the only thing his wolf would want to do is meet your lioness." Nolan added, still keeping a steady eye on the road.

Meet is a light way of saying it, but yes, Nolan was right.

Madeline gave me a small smile and looked away, I looked back out at the road. "Do they feel the mate bonds too?" She asked.

"They feel it stronger than we do." I managed to get out, Nolan grunting in agreement. My inner wolf had been whining inside from the moment I met her, crawling in the back of my head begging me to do something she wasn't ready for.

This morning before we left, I woke Madeline up and urged her on the importance of dressing appropriately during this trip. The less skin revealed to me, the more I was able to withhold from my urges. Not without releasing a few of them in the process. The thought of her laying in my bed while I rubbed her clit, soaking in the sound of her whimpers, it was all still fresh in my mind. I couldn't particularly wait until she was awake, I began kissing up on her while she tossed and turned, inching her body closer to mine in the bed, when she opened her eyes all she did was smile as her cheeks became pink and flustered, she didn't tell me to stop when I slithered my hand down between her legs.

I think deep down she understood that I needed to do this just to get a small grip on myself, I just needed to satisfy my mate before I did something reckless, the thoughts were becoming too much.