What Song Am I To You? (M)

"What song am I?" He asked me. 

We were laying down in my bed. My electric clock on my wall read 1:43 A.M.

"What?" I asked him, smiling. 

"What song am I? To you?"

I sighed. 

After a few moments of silence, he asked, "What, is there not a song for me?"

"No, there's just so many. I'm racking my brain trying to find one, it's like I'm sifting through a junk drawer." I said. 

"Oh, I've got it!" I exclaimed. 

I began to sing Hit 'Em Up Style

"When your man wanna get buck wild, just go back and hit 'em up style, get your hands on his cash and spend it to the last time," I sang. 

He laughed and gently smacked my arm. 

"No, no not that one..." I mumbled. I sighed even louder as I searched for a song. 

"Oh, I know," I said. 

I began to sing Crazy He Calls Me by Billie Holliday 

"I say I'll move the mountains, and I'll move the mountains, if he wants them out of the way... crazy he calls me, sure I'm crazy, crazy in love, I'd say..."

As I continued to sing, I saw him turn his head to watch me. He placed his hand in mine and rubbed my knuckle with his thumb. 

I turned my head to look at him. "I say I'll go through fire, and I'll go through fire, as he wants it so it will be, crazy he calls me, sure I'm crazy, crazy in love, you'll see, like the wind, that shakes the bough, he moves me with a smile..." As I sang the last part, I smiled wide. 

"So, your turn, what song am I to you?" I asked. 

"You call her Stephanie? I call her hedphanhieee," He sang. I lightly smacked his head.

"Fuck you," I said and we giggled. 

"I hate you." I said, looking up to the ceiling of my room. I rubbed his knuckle with my thumb and his hand went limp in mine. 

After a few moments of silence, I began to worry. 

Was he not gonna sing for me?

Was there not a song for me?

Or was he just searching for one like I had?

The thoughts in my head silenced when he lowly began to sing Let's Stay Together by Al Green.

"I, I'm so in love with you..."

I felt my nose tingling and my eyes began to fill with water.

"Whatever you want to do, is all right with me, 'cause you make me feel so brand new," 

I couldn't help the tear threatening to fall from the corner of my eye, I tried to hold it in. 

"And I want to spend my life with you,"

The tear dropped. 

"Loving you forever, is what I need, let me be the one you come running to, and I'll never be untrue, ooh baby, let's, let's stay together, loving you whether, whether times are good or bad, happy or sad,"

I began to sob. My breath hitched and I couldn't stop the tears from falling. 

He stopped singing and asked, "Baby, what's wrong?"

I couldn't do anything but shake my head 'no'.

He pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around me. He kissed my head and stroked my hair. 

"Why are you crying? What's wrong?"

All I could do was whimper out a, "Nothing". He breathed laughter from his nose and said, "It doesn't seem like nothing."

He patiently let me soak his shirt with my tears.

Once I could collect myself, he let me go so that I could look at him, but kept his arms around me. 

"I've just, never had someone sing me that song. It's all I've ever wanted." I said, sniffling and flashing a weak smile. 

He pushed some of my hair back behind my ear and cupped my cheek in his hand. 

...And began to sing to me again. 

"Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad,"

I fell back into his chest and he hugged me tightly. 

"Why, why people who break up, oh, turn around and make up? I just can't deceive, you'd never do that to me, would you baby? Stayin' around you, is all I see, here's what I want us to do, let's, we oughta stay together, whether times are good or bad, happy or sad,"

When he stopped singing, I asked him to sing another song. 

"Okay," he whispered. 

He began to sing I Only Have Eyes For You.

"My love must be a kind of blind love, I can't see anyone but you,"

I was able to calm down and stop crying but I didn't want to let go of him. I raised my arms and wrapped them around his neck. 

"Are the stars out tonight? I don't know if it's cloudy or bright, I only have eyes, for you, dear, the moon may, be high, but I can't see a thing, in the sky, I only have eyes, for you, I don't know if, we're in a garden, or on the crowded avenue,"

I looked up at him and he was already looking down at me.

I stared into his eyes and his eyes looked so gentle and tender. 

"You are here, and so am I, maybe millions of people go by, but they all disappear, from view, and I only have eyes, for youuu," 

I cupped his cheek with my hand and rubbed his cheekbone with my thumb. He wiped a tear from my cheek and smiled at me. I smiled back. 

"I love you." I said. 

For the first time.

He jumped slightly. 

"Really?" He asked, smiling. I nodded my head. 

"I love you too," 

I fell back into him and wrapped my arms around his torso, slightly rubbing his back. He kissed the top of my head and buried his face in my neck. 

I've never been loved like this before. 

I didn't want to tell him I loved him, because I wasn't sure if he loved me back. 

But if what he just did for me wasn't love, I don't know what is.