You before me

Riddhima's pov

We need to do something. I mouthed and they all nodded.

It had been one hour and the terrorists had gone crazy. They are demanding something from Government and probably are not getting it, that's why they had started killing the hostages. We were seventeen but now we are only fifteen.

I am more scared about the little children who had faced these men killing people brutally.

And now it's enough. I can't wait more.

"After fifteen minutes, we are going to kill one more.", One of them shouted.

He left us alone again and I signalled everyone. We all stood together and walked towards the door. I peeked out and found three men guarding the door and two men talking on phone.

"Three of them are standing right here. We had to distract them.", I whispered.

All of them looked at each other and then at me. What should we do? Help us God!

"Only you can help us.", I heard Ahana's calm voice which surprised me.

I glanced at her eyes which were shining with unknown emotions. She weakly smiled and patted my back. And surprisingly, I felt confident.

With a new found courage, I nodded at Papa and Ahana and gave them thumbs up for our plan.

We had decided to distract the terrorists so that one of us can save the others through the back door.

"Now.", I yelled and ran out of the room, gaining terrorists' attention. I was the one who had to distract them. Though Papa refused but I made him understand, it was essential.

I was followed by those masked men while Papa and Ahana quietly sneaked out of the room with others. I relaxed as I saw them leaving for the back door.

Not yet. I have to save myself, too. With a strong determination, I ran speedily to the end of the corridor. I looked behind and found them lagging. Good, it is a chance to save myself. I breathed heavily and rushed to the other corner, far from those men.

Running all the while, with my heart at my mouth, several thoughts were running in my mind. It was an experience closed to death. And strangely, I was terrified, not because I would die, but because my Riva had to live her entire life without a mother, again.

Never in my life, I had thought that someday I will be valuing someone else more than my life. My parents have always taught me how important life is and how precious I am to have got it. All those theories and philosophies drained in front of Riva's weeping image. I want to live, not because I want to, but because I want to see Riva growing old.

I realised how much I love her. More than myself, more than anyone else. Yeah, but a certain someone special is also in the back of my mind, all the while.

Oh god, it's not the time for being emotional, wake up Riddhima.

I observed my surrounding and squealed with delight when I found, I was so close to the back door. I rushed and peeked my head out of the door, only to find some officers standing there. Finally, they are here for our rescue.

"Riddhima.", I heard Ahana's voice and looked towards a figure which was standing behind officers. She waved her hand and shouted me to come to her. I can't believe Ahana is being good to me. Certainly those evil tactics suit her. This good girl image don't.

I was going to walk towards her but then I heard a whisper.

"Oh My god!", I could only decipher those words but I knew whose voice was it.

"Kabir, are you here?", I shouted. I looked at Ahana whose eyes were widened.

"Riddhima, Kabir and Vansh are not here.", She shouted back. I quickly turned around and gazed everywhere. Some officers were shouting to come out but how can I? I had to save them. Moreover, my mother is also with them.

My gaze fell at a door which looked like a storeroom and was clasped from outside.

"Kabir are you in there?", I shouted again and heard a shuffling voices.

"Riddhima, yes we are stuck here.", I heard his voice and sighed with delight. Quickly unclasping the door I ran inside and found all three of them staring me.

I hugged my mother and kissed her cheeks. She was so warm, just like home. I smiled and looked at Vansh who was staring me intently. Why all of them are staring me like that?

I tugged his hand and together we four rushed outside. I approached the back door again and found the officers running inside for shooting the terrorists. I glanced out and found all the hostages standing safe with Ahana and Papa. We four increased our pace and rushed towards them.

We had a group hug and I could see tears in my parents' eyes. I was so happy we had made it out safely that I hugged everyone, even Ahana. Oh it was so funny to see her awkwardly patting my back. I laughed at her reaction and she rolled her eyes.

I looked at Vansh who was looking amused. I smiled at him, and I stepped forward for hugging him, but stopped. I saw one terrorist pointing his gun at Vansh. The time stopped for me, when I heard a gunshot. I spotted the bullet running speedily in his direction. I felt like my world would crumble.

I looked at Vansh's face who was twinkling, he was unaware of the danger. I don't know what happened to me, but I found me throwing myself in his arms, such that I was facing the bullet.

It won't matter if I die. But I couldn't let him die.

Our nose tips brushed and his smile widened. I shivered at the contact but I knew my end was near. Just a second and the bullet will pierce my skin. I closed my eyes feeling his warmth when I felt a sudden pain at my arm.

It hit me! I winced lightly, but he heard me. He looked at me with tears.

"Why Riddhima? Why didn't you let it hit me?", He sobbed as he figured out why I embraced him suddenly.

"Because I couldn't. It's always you before me.", I whispered with a small smile and closed my eyes. His warmth was smooth and comfortable like a lullaby. I could hear some panicked voices shouting my name, but I was relaxed. This was peaceful. If this is death then it is serene.

  ____________________________

I would like you all to mention your favourite chapters from this book here, if you have any ;)

I want to dedicate them to my readers, so do share the name of your favourite chapter from this book.