Penelope's Musings

You know, for the first time in Penelope's many repeated existences, she was having a good time. But of course, all good things must come to an end.

Because how dare Penelope remove herself from the abusive environment that she was oh so kindly thrusted in. Gasp, the audacity!

Penelope's face was locked in a displeased expression, practically biting her tongue to not spew venomous words at the person grabbing her arm as if it were his own.

"Derrick Eckart," she stated flatly. The nuisance had been on Penelope's tail for a while it seemed, as for the past few days she and Yvonne had noticed suspicious people that always seemed to be everywhere.

The young noble had cornered her an alley right after she had finished her dance at the tavern. There was only one way out and the bastard was in the way.

I can get away from him easily with my magic, though I don't want him all of people to know what I'm capable of. Should I just kill him?

"Are you done with your tantrum yet?" Derrick sneered, breaking Penelope out of her murderous thoughts. "Do you know how much trouble the Eckarts already go through because of you? Our reputation is a mess."

Not missing a beat, Penelope sassed back. "Sounds like a personal problem."

She didn't even look at him, turquoise eyes studying the many trinkets on her free arm.

Her companion wheezed.

Derrick's eyes darkened. "What."

Penelope raised a brow. "Did I stutter? I said that it sounds like a personal problem. I have nothing to do with the Eckarts."

Yvonne clapped her hands solemnly in agreement.

Derrick's grip tightened and began to drag Penelope out the alley with him. "It seems that being away from the dukedom has made you even more despicable," he spat.

Penelope almost tripped against him.

Yvonne tried in vain to block him. "Let go of Penny!" She shouted, furious.

But Penelope was calm. With a bored expression, dark vines of thorns came bursting from Penelope and seized him.

Instinctively, the man moved to unsheath his sword, but was brutally slammed against the wall, knocked out.

Penelope brushed her arm off. Weak ass.

"Kyaa! Penny, you're so cool!" Yvonne squealed.

Penelope's face went from frowning to trying hard not to smile. She did allow herself to puff up her chest proudly though. "It was nothing."

It wasn't nothing. It required immense amount of precision and skill for a person to manifest their magic the way Penelope did.

"No, no! Really!" Yvonne vehemently denied. "Your magic has already grown to the point where you don't need a wand! Even Vinter won't be able to catch up now–"

A bolt whistled through the air and pierced Penelope straight through her lung - she stumbled and fell to her knees, coughing up blood.

"PENNY!"

From the edge of the alley, Penelope could see the Eckarts' knights gather.

The hell! I couldn't sense them, was it a cloaking spell?

That wouldn't make sense, a cloaking spell wouldn't have been enough to hide that many people! Unless...

Yvonne must have come to the same conclusion as Penelope as a haunted look came over her face.