10.

Hey. How are y'all?
Here's another little chapter for you, with some more insight on the past of our characters. I'm trying to give more depth to the characters themselves and their actions, hope you'll like my ideas.
Have a good day, and I'll see you all soon again :)

"Tomorrow, you'll be released from the hospital. And tomorrow, winter holidays are also gonna start. So, what are you planning to do, Mika?"

Oh, I didn't even realize that. What am I planning to do over the holidays?

"Are you going to be on leave from work, Mom?" I ask, my eyes and my voice full of hope.

"Yep."

Mom smiles at me, and gives me a kind pat on the head. She then crosses her arms and waits for me to say something else.

"Then I'll definitely come home with you. We haven't spent some time together in too long."

"Are you sure you-"

"Yes, mom, I'm sure. I've had enough of school life, honestly."

She also knows why, since she's been my confidant for about two weeks. We've been talking a lot.

"Yeah, I bet. Then we'll leave tomorrow afternoon, get off the ship and drive home. What do you think?"

I can't wait, honestly. I'm feeling really ecstatic about spending a couple of weeks in tranquility, just mom and I. Away from my school, and away from all the people in it. I honestly don't want to see any of my schoolmates for a while, I just need a break. Helena came to visit me once, and it was yesterday, so we got the chance to talk for a bit and wish each other some nice holidays. Last time I saw Aki was the day before that, after she decided to talk to me again after the time I made her angry, and...no, I don't want to think about Olga. I'll just end up crying again.

"Sounds awesome," I say, smiling very widely. At least, for my standards. I've never been a very smiley person. My mother is like me, she doesn't smile for many people. And I'm lucky to be one of those few people who get to see her smile.

"I'll come and pick you up tomorrow, then."

"Alright, mom. Bye."

"Bye, honey."

She waves at me, then walks out of the room, leaving me alone with my own thoughts. I can't let them run free, or they'll end up ruining my somewhat good mood. But there's also nothing I can do to stop them: my anguish gets worse when I'm alone, and quiet. That way, I can hear the voices in my head, and I start going crazy. What do they say, you ask? Well...they give me doubts, they make me feel insecure, and they bring me down. They insult me, and keep asking me uncomfortable questions, the answers to which I always try to dodge or not think about. I'd really need some company, right now. But I guess I'll have to spend the rest of the afternoon alone. I close my eyes, wanting to rest for a little while. And that, I do. But for a very little while, since I hear a knock on my door.

"Yes?"

I open my eyes and sigh, thinking that it's just the nurse coming to...I don't know, change my bed sheets or something.

"Can I come in?"

Wait just a moment.

"Who is it?" I ask, unable to hide the nervousness in my voice. I know all too well who it is at my door, but I just need some confirmation.

"Malyshev Irina."

I knew it. This is actually the first time I'm hearing her last name. I knew she was Russian, though. Or at least, I figured it out on my own. I sit up on my bed and try to adjust my hair in a few seconds. It's not going to be useful at all, but it gives me a false sense of security that I really need right now.