First Year

Artemis felt her stomach oozing between her toes in her shiny new Mary Janes, but she didn't care one bit. Not even her brother could ruin her excitement, despite how hard he appeared to be trying. One could only obnoxiously prattle on about Transfiguration Theory for so long without it becoming purposely pompous. At least, in Artemis' opinion. And bespoke opinion was rather biased after years of rivalry and sibling-fuelled rage. 

Their father, Thomas Williams, released his strong grip on his children's hands and summoned their luggage from some magical doorway with his wand, ignoring the impatience painted on both pale faces. When their trunks had been placed carefully beside the two of them, he levelled them with his sternest stare. Of course, with the face of a 'pretty pixie,' as Agniya called it, stern wasn't all that intimidating. Still, Artemis wanted to get on the enormous train that stood before them, past a few families also saying farewell. 

"Remember what I've told you. Muggles and Magic Folk are different. If you're mistreated, spit in their face right back, because you are filled with just as much potential as your classmates," his eyes were hard and unwavering. 

Artemis glanced to the side at a group of older students who were laughing and chatting. A tall blonde girl with a pretty, straight smile gazed up into the eyes of a brown-haired boy. Three boys with equally red hair jostled each other. A girl with bushy brown hair stood with two timid-looking parents. Two pudgy boys trailed a third onto the train looking more toad than human. 

"Artemis," Thomas' voice snapped her from her perusal of the crowd, "this is important."

Artemis executed an eye roll she always saw the teenaged muggles do while they smoked cigarettes outside the liquor store, then grinned, "I know. I know. If someone calls me a Mudblood, stomp on their toes!" 

Thomas cringed. Apollo scoffed. Her father opened his mouth to speak, but Artemis was already dragging her trunk towards the train calling a hasty goodbye over her shoulder. 

"Vane, Emma!" Trilled Professor Mcgonagall, the tall witch with tartan green robes and a pointed hat that Artemis liked very much

"Gryffindor!" The Sorting Hat crowed. 

Palms sweaty, Artemis came when called and allowed the hat to be sat atop her head. 

Oh my ... such ambition and confidence.

Artemis felt a small smile spread across her lips. 

 The voice of the Sorting Hat almost seemed to be laughing in the back of her mind. Ah, yes. You could do great things, but you don't care about all that drivel, do you?

Artemis's mind flashed to the excited students she'd seen at Platform 9 3/4. The smiles on their faces had made her stomach flutter happily. She wanted friends to surround herself with. She was nearly certain the Hat could read her mind like a book, but she whispered aloud softly enough for only the Hat to hear, "You tell me, Hat."