Chapter 33: "A new creature..."

You passed under the huge pendulum of the Clock Mechanism above you, that swayed slowly over this entrance.

History of Magic had ended more quickly than expected, and when your were walking down the path towards Hagrid's cabin your itchiness was long gone, making you appreciate momentarily the fresh air of the cloudy day.

You sighed in relief when a blow of air hit behind your collar, and with enthusiasm you took off your cloak, leaving you with your regular uniform top.
One of the cons that you had discovered that summer was that you suffered terribly the hot weather, so this fresh air was a blessing for your skin, and the shirt of your uniform made it even more pleasant.

"You can't stay like that you need to wear the jumper or you'll catch a cold." You heard Draco talk to you, coming from behind. He was clearly shuffling something and muttering to himself as he passed you quickly, most likely toppling over.
"Having problems with your Monster Book?" You asked with a soft chuckle.
"This thing is aggressive! How. How are we supposed to read? It has teeth!"
"Draco, no offence, but sometimes I wonder why you are surprised by things that you already know exists in the magic world."

Draco huffed in annoyance, and rushed down the path towards Hagrid's cabin, seeing Pansy, Zalbini, Crabbe and Goyle just right up ahead mixed with some other students, waiting for the lesson to begin.
"Hey guys!"
"Hey Courage." Saluted Blaise.
"Hey Malfoy you slept in class too?"
"Yeah ahah," responded Draco "I was bored and tired so I took the chance. It's not like that ghost can do something about it since he falls asleep too."
The group laughed and so did you.

You smelt the scent of strawberries, Granger's profume, coming towards you, pushed by the wind.
You turned, only to be greeted by the girl and the two well-known boys.

"Hey Courage!" Hermione said waving her hand and rushing down the small hill "I was just think about you! Want to hear about how willy Divination Class was?"
"Absolutely!" You laughed "But we will need to wait after class for that. Wanna go to the library later?"
"Yes! Oh you should totally take Ancient Ruins with me!!"
You smiled "I'll think about it. Sounds cool."

You didn't take notice of the staring from the Slytherins as you talked to Granger, but your attention turned when you heard Hagrid's heavy footsteps as now he was standing in front of the entrance of the cabin.

"Perfect! Come closer!" Hagrid called out "I have got a real treat for you today. A great lesson!" The giant man spoke leaning forward with enthusiasm "Follow me!"

- - - - -

The students had followed Hagrid into a small clearing close to the forest, where the sunlight was still able to get through the fronds of the trees.
"Less chattering, form a group over there and open the book at page 49."

You followed Hermione, Harry and Ronald.
Pansy had given you a dirty look before and the last thing you wanted was dealing with her in such beautiful afternoon.

Draco let out a tsk "And exactly HOW we do that?"
"Well, just stroke the spine of course! Goodness me."

Neville's Monster Book opened suddenly, trying to bite him, causing the boy to scream and fall backwards, fighting against it and trying to keep the living object away from his face as pieces of paper and cloth flew all over.

"Stop being such a wimp Neville." Said Malfoy as his group of friends laughed.
"I am ok! I am o- aaahh!!"

You exchanged quickly a look with Hermione, excusing yourself.
You ignored Draco's blabbering and rushed to Neville, still struggling to hold the thing.

"H-Help!"
"Don't worry Longbottom. Here-!"
You grabbed the book from behind and pulled it as strong as you could towards you, which made Neville's grip loose, making you fall backwards with the book in hands.
Still being paroxysmal, you instinctively hold the book tight to your chest, and after a few second of squirming, the Monster Book calmed down between your arms as if it had fallen asleep.