Chapter 5

Shaye ran through the woods, keeping her footsteps quiet. She couldn't risk anyone hearing her. Shaye quietly scolded herself for letting Theodosia go. She was smarter than that. Shaye continued heading south in hopes of seeing a fire. Theodosia had been stupid enough to jump so maybe she was stupid enough to make a fire that would lead any hungry creature straight to her.

Shaye lost track of time and was starting to feel hungry so she stopped at a village in Perranth. After a quick meal of bread and wine, Shaye headed out in hopes to continue her search.

+++++++++

Trees went on for miles and miles that Theodosia thought they would never end. She was quite tired of it, but it was better than being held as a hostage. She had been wandering in the woods for around 3 hours. But it had felt like days. Theodosia finally hit some sort of civilization. A town with a circle of dark stone scattered around it. Theodosia looked up in awe at the castle. It wasn't nearly as bold as the Queens, but it was better than trees. The people thankfully paid little attention to her as she walked through, looking for something to eat. She approached a large building bursting with laughter and music. The strong smell of food wafted out of the door causing her mouth to water. She peeked through a small window and saw what looked like a restaurant. It was... different. Very well put together, nice even. They didn't have places like this in the Bay. She smiled at the feel of the place, but her smile faded when she noticed a small detail that ruined the whole atmosphere for her. Shaye. Theodosia flew out from the view of the window, hoping that she wasn't seen. She had to get out of there. Unless...

Theodosia could use Shaye. After an hour or what at least felt like it, Shaye left the place and headed out back into the forest. I am only taking back what is rightfully mine, Theodosia told herself. She wouldn't be killing the girl. Only threatening to scare Shaye into a deal. Within moments, Theodosia struck. She slipped behind Shaye and placed the dagger against the girl's throat.

"Why must you always ruin my fun," Shaye wined, slightly straining.

The blade was so close to piercing the skin. Shaye knew it also.

"It's only fun once I've arrived." Theodosia needed to make this deal happen. She would never go home if it did not work out.

"We both know you aren't going to kill me. Move on and tell me why you are here." Shaye sneered in a bothered tone.

"I have a deal to offer if you must know."

"What makes you think I'll take an offer from a pirate?" Shaye remarked with disgust.

"Because it will solve both our problems. You can return to your parents alive and in one piece, and I can return home never to bother you again."

Theodosia slowly lowered her blade from the girl's throat. Shaye turned slowly to face the girl. Their eyes locked into the others both trying to see if the deal could be made. Both girls looked for the trap.

"If you promise to leave without hurting my people, I will accept the deal. I will announce you

dead to my parents so if you ever reveal that secret, you will be dead by nature's doing," Shaye explained, still hesitant in her eyes.

"Then we have a deal"

Theodosia was satisfied. She could go home. She could see her father and her people again. Never seeing Shaye again was the bonus.

+++++++++

Shaye walked through the castle corridors, her stomach churning from the day's events. She knew what she had to do, but Shaye still didn't like lying to her parents.

As Shaye burst through the doors to the throne room, everyone looked her way.

"I found her dead in the woods," she confirmed with a heavy sigh.

"It's too late." She glanced up facing her mother and father.

"Are you sure?" Aelin questioned her daughter.

"Yes, mother. I checked. She had been killed by some animal. I buried the body before returning." Shaye explained.

Shaye turned around without another word and headed towards her room. When she entered her bedroom, Turner was sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Oh, hi," Shaye greeted, blushing.

"I was worried about you."

"Oh really? I can take care of myself."

"I know."

"And just because you're the Captain of the Royal Guard, doesn't mean you can treat me like some damsel in distress."

"I know."

"Or s.." she started.

Turner held a finger up to her lips, silencing.

Shaye stopped talking and averted her eyes up to his as he tucked a strand of hair out of her eyes and behind her ear.

"She's dead," Shaye shared nervously, not knowing what else to say.

Turner blinked before snapping back into his senses.

"Well, we will just have to find another way to get the wyrdkey."

Wait! What! He leaned in for a kiss but Shaye pulled away, her eyes trailing to the window.

"What wyrdkey?" she demanded.

"You know, the one Rolfe took," Turner communicated as he trailed his finger down her arm and ended with a squeeze of her hand. But she pulled it out of his grip, lost in her thoughts.

"This changes everything!" Shaye exclaimed as she looked back at the flustered Turner.

"I have to go, I'm so sorry."

"I know," Turner mumbled with a sigh, but she was already out the door, leaving the door to slam behind her.