Chapter 31

POV Michael

"How's it going?" I ask shortly, my mood already changing. "Good evening to you too, Michael." She purrs playfully. "Cut the crap, Geneviève." I hiss, irritated.

"Okay, okay. Your father called an hour ago, and it didn't go well. I think he doesn't buy the story anymore. Believe me, I tried to be very convincing." She says in a rush.

I close my eyes for a moment. Geneviève was my distraction for my father. So he would never guess I would be with Sofia the entire time. I don't need her for the contract. Eventually, I'll have enough information against him. Information that can destroy his business, his reputation, and especially the Davis name.

"It's alright, Geneviève. What did you tell him?" I ask her. "He wanted to speak with you and he asked what we were doing. I told him we were dining in a luxurious restaurant. So he asked me which restaurant and I answered him we were dining at that fancy restaurant Gigi's. And then he asked me if I could put you on the phone, and that's when he got suspicious.

I told him you were to the bathroom, and he waited on the phone like a child waiting for his toy. Your father is so persistent." She says in annoyance.

I swallow the words that wanted to come out of my mouth. He isn't my biological father, but the fewer people know about it the better. "And then I acted like my phone connection went dead. He called me ten times within the hour. I think he might get the clue." She adds.

"Are you mad now? I didn't know what to say to him. He wanted to wait for you to take the phone." Geneviève talks rapidly. "This means I'm not getting any money, right?" She asks seriously because I didn't answer her right away.

"No, you did well for a long time. You've earned it. I'll send it to you after I end the contract." I stated calmly. "But, that's another three weeks?" She hissed.

"So? The deal was playing the role till the end. If my father calls you again, ignore him. It will give me some time until he finds out where I am." I order her firmly.

"Fine, then. I want my money on the fifth sharp!" She snaps before hanging up on me.

I throw my phone on the sofa and brush my hand over my face. I was living on a cloud for the past days. Sofia has finally admitted she wants me in her life again. It made me so happy. I got extra energy because of her; I didn't exist I had. She made me feel alive again. I almost felt like back in the days as a kid. Without sorrow and concern.

How will I tell her this? It doesn't matter, my father finds out about Geneviève. She was just a distraction from my holiday with Sofia. I wanted to spend some time with her so she could see we are meant to be together.

Now, things will change for me. I need to be aware my father can track me down. Luckily, he doesn't know about the existence of this place. It's registered in Sofia's name, after all. He'll never think to look for a house in Italy that's registered in her name.

We are safe here, but my mind will be on high alert for the upcoming three weeks until the fifth of June. I just crave for a life without looking over my shoulder every move I make. I want a life without all the shame and fake conversations. If I didn't have Sofia, I would have been long gone. She's the only one that really knows me. She makes me a better version of myself.

I hold my bearings before walking inside the kitchen. Sofie turned around and eyes me curiously, her sweet smile fading away. "What's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Nothing I can't handle." I try to smile at her to ease the tension. "Tell me," she insists. Sofia saunters towards me, her eyes never leaving mine. She's exploring my face for clues. The therapist in her taking the upper hand again. But that part makes her who she really is. She's such a helpful and caring person.

At all times, she's the best part of the day. When I wake up with her sweet smile on her face. And when I go to sleep with my arms around her perfect body. That's the way I imagine my life will be. The closer I can be with her, the better.

"Geneviève thinks my father knows she's lying to him. He isn't buying it anymore, which I predicted would happen one day or the other. But that doesn't matter. It won't change a thing between us or the contract. I have enough against him. You don't need to worry about a thing, jewel." I explain to her softly, giving her a quick peck on her crunched forehead.

"I'm not worried. I trust you with my whole heart. Can you tell me if something changes about the situation?" She asks innocently. "Of course, baby. I promise." I say and swallow the lump in my throat.

It's not that I'm afraid for my father or concern about losing against my father. The only thing that frightens me is the possibility Sofia will get enough of me. That I'll push her away because of all the trouble I created for her.

I took her with me without considering how she would feel. I keep her away from her family and friends because of my benefit. Was that the right thing to do? Was I being selfish when it comes to the woman I love? Yes, definitely.

"Stop overthinking everything, Michael. Everything is going to be alright. I'll stand by your side every step you'll make. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me." Sofia says while embracing me in a tight hug. "I love you." I blurted without thinking.

Sofia eyes me with watery eyes. "I love you too." She smiles. Her lips fall on mine, her tongue making her way inside of my mouth. And again she makes me forget...