Chapter 4

2/17/15  / Voice Log  /  Zella Finley  /  6:00PM

The button on the voice recorder is suddenly hot underneath my finger. over heated by time travel. not sure if it should be here. Hell, I'm not sure if I should be here. I push my finger down on the hot button, starting it. Knowledge costs, now I have a burn the size of a dime on the side of my thumb. Not sure how to start, so I state my name:

Zella Finley here. Uhm, I have definitely traveled in time. There are... people. People probably considered bums. Not sure if I said that right. Bums are bad, annoying and careless. That's what I read in a textbook once. But these... Bums, They seem like they care for each other. They're sharing blankets to keep each other warm in this harsh weather. Let me tell you, that is not careless, either the definition of careless has changed, or those books were wrong. 

"The books were wrong, Zella. Lots of things get misinterpreted in time, do you see that now?" A voice says behind me. I turn around as quick as possible, trying to find the source of that sound. I can't even hear the Bums and they're all talking, sitting around a crackling fire, trying to keep warm. I could take my thick blanket over there for them to use, but if I do that how will I sleep? "Don't try and look for me Zella, you know I'm not really here. I'm just in your mind." 

What? He's in my mind? He's still dead? He's always been dead. Why would I even try and question that. This is probably a really lucid dream. Wake up... Wake up... Wake up!!!

Never mind that, let's just figure out what exactly is going on here, figure out who these people are. If it's a dream, it means something.

I've walked a circle around them. Looking each person in the eye. They seem to see me, but they don't act scared, and they don't invite me into the circle. They haven't heard me and I poked one on the shoulder and she didn't even react. Maybe I didn't catch their eye, maybe they were just staring off into space. Maybe that's what happens every time everyone stares off into space. Maybe we catch the eye of people not in our time stream. Oh God, I've had a lot of doubts about things I've done studies on and it's only been 4 days, Do you see what kind of effect you have on me, Andy?

He knows what kind of effect he can have on me though. One time he made the hologram solid, He drained half the power of his ship, but he made me feel so special. We cuddled and kissed, I wonder how weird it would've looked if someone on his ship had walked into his room. Him laying down with his arms wrapped around something with lips puckered and mushed at the same time. Thank whatever gods he believes in that no one did though. That would be such an awkward explanation.

I am walking into the circle, no one noticed me stepping over top of them, I kicked one in the head, but at the same time another was raising her had to do something, so the blame was passed to her. Sorry random bum. I'm putting my hand in the large fire, but it isn't burning at all. The fire pushes away from me. Like its scared of me, or that it knows what happens when someone from a different time causes a natural disaster. Anyways, if it did touch me I would catch on fire and most likely The bums would see it.

I walk around the fire. I pull on a log that the fire was using as fuel and it wouldn't budge. I kicked another log and It made a popping sound that I knew the bums heard because they all stood up, The blankets fall off and They're all wearing all black. They pull up their hoods and push on black masks that cover their entire face with eye holes. 

I seem to have made an impact on the past, I just kicked a log and it made a pop that sounded like a gunshot-

I stop talking when I realize how dumb I've been. I kicked the girl and there was another cause for the impact, so I make a noise and there is another cause for it. Not a popping fire, It was a gunshot. I duck and put my hands around my head. Then I start whispering:

Andy, in case you didn't hear that, a gunfight is breaking out.

I look up and see that the people dressed in black are running off with their attackers chasing towards them. The attackers are all dressed in white, hoods on and a white mask covering the right side of their face.

Do you know what this is about, Andy? Can I get wounded by a bullet? What if one of them steps on me? Did you bring me here without knowing this stuff?

"Zella, I need you to trust me. Do you?" 

Yes, Andy, oh yes. I trust you with my life.

"Good, that might be what it costs you." He said and suddenly I feel something touch my teleportation bracelet and I'm traveling. My Voice recorder is left in the other time stream. One that I wont be in again, hopefully.