☾ Chapter 18

Hermione's eyes were met with glowing orange light as she blinked them open.

His fireplace.

She was wrapped in his black blanket, freshly washed with the smell of crisp detergent.

"Dr—Malfoy," she called out for him, the last of a searing pain echoing through her skull as she sat up to reach for the steaming cup of tea on the coffee table.

"No no no, don't do that,"  he jogged in from the kitchen, blonde locks messy, half his white shirt buttons undone, placing another pillow behind her head so she wouldn't have to sit up any further.

"How are you feeling? Are—are you alright? Your appointment has been rescheduled to tomorrow evening, and I um—I made you tea," He placed the warmed china in her palms, quieting when he realized he was being overly front with his worry.

"I'm fine," she placed the cusp of the porcelain at her lips, allowing the hot tea to soothe and warm her insides.

Her cheeks flushed, from his gaze or the tea she was unsure, remembering how he'd kissed her that night before kicking her out.

Normally she would be furious; but Hermione was far too exhausted to argue.

"Why'd you bring me here?"

He ran his fingers through his hair before sitting down next to her with a sigh, eyeing how comfortable she looked wrapped in his knit present, the green tea steaming beneath her nose.

"Health Center was too far."

She scoffed at him, peering through her memories like a psychic to a crystal ball, remembering every little detail of his rescue to the best of her ability, "You apparated, didn't you? Doubt a few hundred feet would've made any difference."

She both loved and hated him for having brought her here. He was kind enough to spare his apparations for her, yet so incredibly stupid for wasting the last of his life.

She felt his eyes on her, staring. Staring absolutely mortified with what he'd done.

He'd sent her out into the freezing rain, and she'd fallen sick.

She knew what he was thinking.

"It's just a cold, Malfoy. Don't worry about it."

He shook his head, reaching for his own cup across the table, "They're probably wondering where you are. Drink your tea and I'll walk you back."

Hermione could barely hide her disappointment when the words of reality had slipped from his lips. She would have to return to the cell alongside her friends.

So she came up with a lie.

"Do you mind if I have another cup of tea?"

He almost looked surprised at her request, placing his teacup back on it's saucer as she continued rambling.

"I just—my head still aches, and I'm really exhausted-"

"Yeah," he mumbled, taking her cup in his hands for a refill before starting his short walk to the kitchen, "I don't mind."

Hermione heaved a breath of relief.

Smirking proudly to herself she snuggled back under the warmth of his blanket, allowing the flames of the fire to heal her still shivering limbs.

She didn't want to leave. She felt strangely safe with him in her presence.

Draco returned with her refill, placing it in her hands as she sat in his original position, next to her on the maroon couch cushions.