☾ Chapter 23

Three days.

It had been three days and two nights since she last slept, and tonight would add another to the list.

Her eyelids had nearly fluttered closed when the screech of the metal door forced them open with surprise.

"Here's your shit supper," Draco placed the tray on the floor, gaze shifting from the mashed potatoes to Hermione, sitting on her mattress with a slight dizziness to her complexion.

"Are you alright?"

His voice rang through her head.

"Mhm," she droned, Neville and Parvati looking up at her with confusion.

"Don't react verbally, Granger. You look fucking stupid," he scoffed, standing in the door way with a furrow in his brow, "Are you hurt?"

She gave a shake of the head so slightly only he could see.

"Are you sick?"

She shook her head again.

"Well then what the fuck is wrong with you?"

She let out a discreet yawn.

He chuckled, shutting the cell door as it clicked closed, "Get some sleep, Granger. You look like a dead raccoon."

............

She'd only slept four nights out of the past fourteen, allowing herself short breaks where she would train to the point of exhaustion, falling right asleep, unwilling to see him.

When he came to pick her up, she could barely keep her eyes open.

"Didn't I tell you to sleep, Granger?"

She rolled her eyes, leaning on his shoulder for assistance of balance, "Is it that obvious?"

"Quite."

Fortunately they had made it to the Health Center with no faults, the bright lights making it easier to stay awake. Her diagnostics were checked, she was given more Vitamin D, and miraculously did not fall asleep in the shower while shampooing her hair.

When she slipped into her dress and walked out into the waiting room, Blaise was once again next to her protector.

He gave her a small yet sharp glance before standing with a nod to his friend, striding out the doors onto an adventure of his own. Draco slipped an envelope into his pocket.

She was far too tired to ask any questions.

"Why so quiet, Granger?"

Hermione didn't answer. She was beginning to slip.

Five more minutes, just five more minutes—

The chant in her head was on loop.

Do not fall asleep—

But she missed him so dearly, despite him being right next to her...

Just five more minutes of walking and then you can sleep—

"Come to bed, Hermione..."

Her eyelids began to flutter closed at the sound of his soothing voice, the disregard of her sleeping schedule taunting her with bitter rage.

"Granger... Are you alright?"

Don't fall asleep—

"So... Tired..."