Chapter 8: Grass Hill

She didn't want to be home. She knew at this time her father would be angry, her mother would be furious. She might as well not go home till tomorrow. She knew Peter didn't have anywhere to go at this time as well. What did she see in him? She thought to her self. He was a delinquent, someone who ran away from their problems. Someone who wasn't very trust worthy. But to her. He was so soft and comfortable around her.

She didn't know where he was taking her. He just simply said "sure." No other clue of where he was driving. She was a bit scared. But she was more excited than she was afraid. Every time she wrapped her arms around him she didn't want to stop. The world would just quit it's pain and focused on him. She watched him, he was so focused on driving. He looked trustworthy right there.

She hadn't been paying attention to where they were going but she heard them slow down and looked up. They were on top of a grass hill, it had a single bench and a beautiful warped cherry tree. It was twisted but in such gorgeous way that it swirled over the bench but still kept its composure. The grass was up to her ankles when she stepped off. It's was a sea of green as it flowed in the wind. In the distance the city danced with life. The buildings lit up almost as if they were smiling, the Stars twinkled telling their story from hundreds of years away. The people walked the streets with smiles and drove with happiness. It was a small town but it was a happy place. This hill captured everything, from the light of the heavens to the smiles of the streets. It was a beautiful thing that hill.

"Wow.." Jade stared in amazement, she didn't know such a place existed in the city.

"Yeah, my mom used to take me here all the time " he told her walking over to the bench. He pointed to the cherry blossom tree which had carvings in the bark. Peoples names in hearts, representing promises of love and prosperity. He put his palm next to a symbol, a heart with names on it.

"Peter Smith & Rebecca Smith" Jade read out loud. She looked at Peter and gulped "y-you have a girl..."

"It was my moms name." Peter interrupted. Jade stared at him, he had his forehead on the tree as he looked down to its roots.

"where is she? If you don't mind me asking.." She said.

"Well She's not here." They both sat down on the bench. As Peter began to tell his mothers story.

"When I was born my mother became very sick." He looked down at his hands. "After she had gotten sick she needed to stay at the hospital which costed lots of money, money we didn't have. She eventually got better but thanks to her treatment and my fathers lack of a job. We were in debt."

"And then what happened ? Sh-she just left the city? She couldn't handle the debt?" Jade asked.

"I wish" Peter said looking up at the sky now. "She had to work for me and my stupid father. She had to support both of us. But somehow she always had time for us. Always taking me out around the city, here on this hill, picnics in the meadows, swimming on the shore line."

"I see" Jade answered

"Well, she became so stressed with the debt, having to provide for me and my father, her work, everything. She had no more time for us or any of her friends. She started taking pills. Lots of them. To deal with her stress." His throat began to swell up and tears came to his eyes. "She always told me to be happy, chase my dreams." He took a deep breath.

"One day when I came home from school, I was seven years old. Usually there would be the smell of food or commotion from cleaning. Instead I came home to my father crying on the table." He stared out to the city as Jade grabbed his hand trying to help not to cry. "I-I asked him where my mom was." He began to sob slowly. "He told me, he told me it was just going to be me and him for a while now." Jade scooter closer. "I asked him over and over where she was. He just cried. I ran. I ran into her room, my dad screamed and screamed for me not to go into that room." He broke down. "She was....there.....but not sitting.....she...she was hanging from the ceiling...a rope took her life..a rope that was tied by her stress and anxiety..there was note on the bed telling me and my father not to cry, she was sorry for everything." He cired and cried he put his head on Jade's shoulder. " why!! Why did she have to do that!" Peter yelled at the sky "She could've gotten better! Why did she have to be so stupid and kill herself like that!" He was crying uncontrollably. "Why!!" He put his head on Jades shoulder.

"I-I'm sorry Peter." Jade said with tears in her eyes.

He looked at her, wiped his tears, and smiled.

"Don't get gloomy on me remember ?" He said