Chapter 20: Every Fire Is A Lesson Learned

Maya’s POV:

After Jack left, we immediately hunted down Tyler.  We burst into Tyler’s room to find him sitting at a desk, typing on a laptop.

“Girls, do you ever knock,” he yelled as we ran over to him.

“Not at such an important time in Jack’s life,” Stella laughed.  I agreed; although my mate experience wasn’t good, I was happy for Jack.

“What are you talking about,” he asked, furrowing his eyebrows, still only half listening, the other half looking at his computer screen, typing some essay or something.

Stella laughed.  “Jack found his mate.”

Tyler snapped up his head.  “What?  Who?”

Stella sat on the desk next to the computer.  “Her name’s Emma.  She’s really pretty, Ty.  And the really funny part is that she’s human!”

Tyler’s jaw nearly dropped as he shut his computer.  “His mom’s going to hate this.”  He looked around.  Where is he?”

“Walking her home.  We don’t suppose you heard about the she-wolf shifter, did you,” I asked.  His eyes popped out, widening to the size of golf balls.

“What?  What all did I miss?”

Stella laughed.  “Too much!  Come on, we’re hungry.  We’ll tell you while we eat.”  He stood up and followed us down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“By the way, why were you guys gone so long,” he asked, reminding us both about the book wed found.

“Oh, right!”  Stella pulled the book out of her over the shoulder purse and handed it to him.  “That’s got some of the prophecy in it.”

“It’s also got some of Stella in it,” I pointed out and she glared at me.

“Maya, I told you it’s not me.”

I huffed.  “Come on, Stella!  It’s got you pegged right down to the blonde hair!”

“Not the name!  Kristy Coombs is not in any way shape or form my name.”

I rolled my eyes.  “Well, do you know a Kristy Coombs with a werewolf alpha dad, a witch mom, blonde hair, who is a vegetarian who doesn’t like to fight anywhere?”

Tyler stopped walking to look in the book.  “It’s that specific?  We need to show this to your parents.”

Stella nodded.  “I know.  But that can wait a little while; first we need to fill you in on the mate details!”

He sighed.  “At least go give it to your mom.”

Stella huffed.  “Fine, you guys go make me food!  I’ll be back in five-ish minutes.”

When she was out of sight we both laughed.  “You know, for such a sweet person, she’s got attitude,” Tyler said.

I laughed.  “I’ve noticed that.”  We entered the kitchen to where about a dozen people were looking through cupboards.  “What do you want?” I asked.

He shrugged.  “Something simple.  What about grilled cheese sandwiches?”

I nodded.  “Sure.  Just not American cheese; too processed for my taste.”  He crossed the room and pulled a cast iron skillet out of a cupboard and placed it on the stove as I sat down.

“So tell me the details of the night,” he said as he went about the kitchen gathering items for the sandwiches.

“Well, first off, we left the book store, ate some bread for a really late lunch, and walked back here, where we discovered two human girls, Lin and Emma, running from a huge black she-wolf shifter.  Stella helped the girls in here, and I fought her off.”  I put on a smug smile when he gaped at me.